This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8584 / 52°51'30"N
Longitude: 1.3076 / 1°18'27"E
OS Eastings: 622771
OS Northings: 334112
OS Grid: TG227341
Mapcode National: GBR WDW.TNQ
Mapcode Global: WHMSH.1FY1
Entry Name: Gunton Park
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224500
Location: Hanworth, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hanworth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Gunton with Hanworth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 23 SW HANWORTH GUNTON
20:2:52 Gunton Park
Country house, now divided into several houses, c1742 by Matthew
Brettingham (Colvin) and c1785 by Samuel and William Wyatt (Robinson).
Gault brick, brick; slate and lead roofs. Irregular plan. South front
of 5 bays, 2 storeys by Brettingham. Rusticated quoins, Gibbs surrounds
to window openings and to central doorway. Central 3 bays project also
with rusticated quoins; pediment; coat of arms in Coade stone in tympanum;
stone lion over pediment. Part balustraded rendered parapet. A 9 bay
colonnade with projecting pavilions to east and west was added by Wyatt
in late C18. Rendered Tuscan columns and pilaster responds; plain frieze;
lead roof. End pavilions have rusticated quoins, windows to floor level
under segmental arches having segmental heads; side lights with glazing
bars, radiating glazing bars to top. This house of 5 by 7 bays burned
down in 1882. 3~southern-most bays rebuilt c1980 when sash windows with
glazing bars and internal fittings were introduced mostly of c1980 but
some cellar doors and some mahogany veneered doors from later house used.
East front of 7 bays repeats window and pediment detail of south front.
Axis of house probably altered in late C18 to make east the entrance
front and doorway added at this time having stone surround with continuous
moulding flanked by 2 rendered pilasters and plain frieze over. 3 central
bays still ruinous. 2 northernmost bays re-roofed with slate in late
C19 after the fire, red brick internal wall. An attic dormer was added
to east and west elevations with Gibbs surround; also 2 chimneys with
banded decoration. Interior. One room chimney piece probably from temp.
Brettingham. West elevation of 9 bays, 2 storeys probably all by Wyatt
using Brettingham's decorative detail. Central 3 bays form a 2 storey
bow, now all ruinous. Iron grille to lower half remains in some openings.
To north of this a 6 bay wing of 3 storeys to the same height as the
Brettingham range was added by Wyatt c1785 with its principal facade to
east. The southernmost bay has a 3 storey bow with sash windows with
glazing bars and glazed doors to top storey opening on to an iron verandah
which extends up all 3 floors with iron supports, arched between.
Remaining 5 bays have central door with side-lights and fanlight with
radiating glazing bars over all. Sash windows with glazing bars; 6 giant
Doric pilasters; plain cornice; partly balustraded parapet. H. Colvin.
Dictionary of British Architects. J.M. Robinson. The Wyatts 1979. CUP.
Listing NGR: TG2277134112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings