History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, Scarrow Beck

A Grade II Listed Building in Erpingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8327 / 52°49'57"N

Longitude: 1.2424 / 1°14'32"E

OS Eastings: 618510

OS Northings: 331055

OS Grid: TG185310

Mapcode National: GBR VCV.GXL

Mapcode Global: WHMSN.12W7

Entry Name: 6, Scarrow Beck

Listing Date: 14 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224531

Location: Erpingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Erpingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Erpingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Erpingham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added

TG 13 SE ERPINGHAM SCARROW BECK

5/84 No 6

- II


Cottage, reduced from a larger house. Probably C16, altered in circa 1600, C18
and C19. Flemish bond red brick on flint plinth, the front gable end is
earlier English bond brick on flint plinth. Clay pantile roof with coped gable
ends, kneelers and brick eaves cornice. Brick gable end stack with rebuilt
shaft top and brick stack to side outshut. Plan: Surviving single bay of a
larger timber-framed house, the front (south) gable end of which was faced in
brick in circa 1600. Both ground floor room and chamber above are heated from
a large stack in the rear gable end, to the right side of which is a winding
staircase rising to the attic. In the C18 or early C19 the whole building was
clad in brick and an outshut was built on the left (west) side. Later in the
C19 an outshut was built at the rear (north) and the ground floor room was
subdivided. Exterior: 2 storeys. Front is south gable end in English bond
brick on moulded brick and flint plinth. Circa 1600 5-light ovolo-moulded
brick mullion window on both floors with hoodmoulds. The windows retain their
original render in imitation of stone. There appears to be a small blocked
window in the apex of the gable. To the left of the ground floor window is a
small later window opening. Against the left (west) side is a single storey
brick lean-to outshut with brick tumbling and a later stack. The right hand
(east) return has C19 sash on ground floor, C20 casement above and plank door
on right. Single storey brick lean-to outshut at rear. Interior: Main ground
floor room has chamfered axial beam and half-beam in end wall over fireplace
with hollow step stops. The large ground floor fireplace has a timber lintel,
bread oven, C19 grate and wooden chimneypiece. Chamber fireplace above is
plastered and has splayed back.

Note: The rendered brick mullion windows are said to be one of the best
preserved of this type.


Listing NGR: TG1851031055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.