This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7628 / 52°45'46"N
Longitude: 1.4576 / 1°27'27"E
OS Eastings: 633373
OS Northings: 323960
OS Grid: TG333239
Mapcode National: GBR XHK.WW4
Mapcode Global: WHMSY.CT9B
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224440
Location: Smallburgh, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Smallburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Smallburgh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
SMALLBURGH HALL ROAD
TG 32 SW
2/109 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C14, remodelled C15, restored 1885 by H.J. Green, Diocesan
architect, bell-cote and other work 1902. Flint with ashlar quoins and slate
roofs. Nave and chancel. Tower fell 1677. West end rebuilt 1902 with flat
buttress rising through centre to double gabled bell-cote. Below is cruciform
loop. Above loop a shield with crossed keys of St. Peter. Diagonal corner
buttresses to nave and stepped side buttresses. Gabled south porch on
diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded outer arch on semi-circular responds.
Wave moulded inner doorway. C15 timber door with remains of cusped arcading.
Plastered barrel roof and 4-centred cusped side lights under square hoods.
3 3-light Perpendicular windows to north and south. Double hollow chamfered
north doorway. C19 stack emerges through roof above south porch. Side
buttresses to chancel, diagonal to east. 2 2-light Perpendicular C19 side
windows and 4-light C19 east window of modified reticulated design. In south
chancel wall a slate monument to Robert Bono 1753. Interior. Nave roof 1902.
False hammerbeams carrying braces to collars. King posts. Timbers painted.
2 tiers butt purlins. C14 octagonal font-with columns against stem. Columns
with polygonal bases and capitals. Plain bowl. Rood stairs partially survive
entered through 4-centred arch. Double chamfered chancel arch and responds
with polygonal capitals. Dado of screen survives with 4 painted panels of
saints under tracery heads. Timberwork mostly C19. Non-figurative painting
on rear of screen panels. Boarded C19 chancel roof. Ogeed piscina under
square hood with, in the spandrels, 2 encircled quatrefoils.
Listing NGR: TG3337323960
Other nearby listed buildings