This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7328 / 52°43'58"N
Longitude: 1.418 / 1°25'4"E
OS Eastings: 630862
OS Northings: 320496
OS Grid: TG308204
Mapcode National: GBR WGK.R96
Mapcode Global: WHMT3.RKFV
Entry Name: Hoveton Old Hall
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224395
Location: Hoveton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hoveton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hoveton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HOVETON STONE LANE
TG 32 SW
2/64 Hoveton Old Hall
House. Long mid C16 range, said to be 1567, altered C18 and C20. Facade
added 1700. Rear range flint and brick, facade brick. Slate roofs. Facade
oil 2 storeys in 7 bays, the centre 3 bays broken forward. Rusticated brick
quoins at corners and also to centre projection. Panelled central door with
late C18 overlight within doorcase of brick pilasters. These stand on high
plinths with stone bases and stone Ionic capitals. Above is moulded
entablature and segmental moulded pediment. Deep moulded platband to first
floor. Late C18 sash windows, with glazing bars and gauged skewback arches.
2 outer first floor windows now blocked. Hipped C19 roof. 3 stacks on rear
wall emerge over roof line. 2 bay returns, that to east with one sash each
floor, the other 2 window bays blocked but retain original 1700 openings :
roll moulded edges under gauged skewback arches. Rusticated quoins to rear.
West return has all windows blocked with colourwashed plaster again in
original openings. Jambs of original cross casement emerges through gap in
plaster on one window. One C19 centre hung casement upper left. Rear wing
C16. East facade of 2 storeys and altered C18 to appear symmetrical in 7
irregular bays. 3 3-light ovolo moulded C16 mullioned casements, remainder
early C18 casements. Walls of flint with patches of C18 brickwork. Hipped
C19 roof and 2 ridge stacks. North gable retains 5-light mullioned window
and one 2-light C17 cross casement. West side much altered but studded with
2 and 3-light mullioned casements. Interior. 1700 wing with large entrance
hall with 4 panelled doors on H or H hinges. Stone fireplace with large
roll mouldings and scrolled consoles left and right. Modillion cornice.
Drawing room to left has shouldered door surround into hall. Plain dado
panelling and modillion cornice. Ceiling plastered with oval central panel.
To right of hall a room fully panelled, large framed and fielded. One room
to rear block close panelled and with dentil cornice, C17.
Listing NGR: TG3086220496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings