This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7291 / 52°43'44"N
Longitude: 1.4277 / 1°25'39"E
OS Eastings: 631540
OS Northings: 320119
OS Grid: TG315201
Mapcode National: GBR WGL.V37
Mapcode Global: WHMT3.XN1N
Entry Name: Greenhouse 150 Metres North West of Hoveton Hall
Listing Date: 7 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224417
Location: Neatishead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Neatishead
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hoveton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG32SW Greenhouse 150metres
North-West of Hoveton Hall
Glasshouse. c.1809-12, extended early C20. Early part probably by Humphrey and John Adey Repton, the extension by Messenger and Co. of Loughborough. Original part of rolled wrought iron, cast iron and glass with brick wall and bothies behind. Later part mainly wood and glass. Plan of original was of a lean-to against a rear wall which extends to either side curving downwards, and to rear at full height to conceal the bothies. Later extension to front has resulted in a T-plan. Original part has brick plinth, with glazed gable ends containing a Gothic-arch part-glazed door. Small panes of glass set in fine glazing bars. Similar windows in the front of the lean-to, the roof of which is composed of Gothic style openwork iron rafters in two panels bolted together which are fixed to the rear wall and feature small cast-iron head corbels.
Extension has brick plinth, part-glazed door to front gable end and span roof.
INTERIOR has brick raised beds and shelves.
HISTORY.This glasshouse is of special significance as an early example of the use of rolled wrought iron for greenhouses and of additional interest as contemporay with Hoveton Hall (qv) and likely to be by the same architects.
Listing NGR: TG3154020119
Other nearby listed buildings