History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barton Turf, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.73 / 52°43'48"N

Longitude: 1.5019 / 1°30'6"E

OS Eastings: 636538

OS Northings: 320464

OS Grid: TG365204

Mapcode National: GBR XJ0.VXQ

Mapcode Global: WHMT5.1MFY

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224347

Location: Barton Turf, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Barton Turf

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Irstead St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Catfield

Listing Text

BARTON TURF IRSTEAD ROAD
TG 32 SE
(north side)
3/16 Church of St. Michael
16.4.55
- II*

Parish church. C14 west tower, nave and continuous chancel, C15 south nave
aisle. Restored 1839 and, extensively, 1844. Flint with ashlar quoins and
thatched roofs. Porch roof of lead. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower with string
course below belfry. Plinth course at base. 2-light reticulated west window,
cusped square ringing chamber ventilation panels and 2-light Y tracery belfry
windows. Crenellated parapet. Nave and aisle with diagonal corner buttresses,
flat to flanks. 2 storey gabled south porch with circular stair turret to
west. Diagonal buttresses. Moulded entrance arch below ogeed and cusped
statuary niche. Parapet. Wave moulded inner south doorway. Original door
with lock. Porch now unfloored. 2-light reticulated side windows to porch.
2-light square-headed south aisle window, 3-light to east. 2 2-light
reticulated south chancel windows and arched priests' door. Diagonal eastern
buttresses. 3-light renewed reticulated east window. East gable head on brick
kneelers. One 2-light reticulated north chancel window and another now
blocked. Bulge of rood stairs. 2 Perpendicular north nave windows, both of
2 lights, one square-headed, the other under 4-centred arch. Interior. Tall
double chamfered tower arch. C12 rere arches to north and south doors, the
former with re-used chevron fragments. 3 bay C15 south arcade of lozenge
piers with semi-circular responds and plastered brick capitals. Double
chamfered arches. Aumbry in south-east chapel. C16 nave benches with poppy-
heads and some animal arm rests. Octagonal late C14 font : figurative and
animal sculptures against stem; panels of bowl with hand of God, head of Christ
and others. C19 King post nave roof. C19 coupled rafter chancel roof with
one tier moulded purlins. C19 rafter south aisle roof. Remains of painting
of St. Christopher on north nave wall. Early C16 linenfold pulpit against
which is mid C13 stiff leaf bench end with head. Crested dado of screen with
12 apostles painted on 4 panels. Chancel stalls dated 1663 with panelled and
incised backs. Cinquefoiled piscina and plain sedilia in chancel.


Listing NGR: TG3653820464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.