History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St James Hospital Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Horning, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6925 / 52°41'32"N

Longitude: 1.5089 / 1°30'32"E

OS Eastings: 637220

OS Northings: 316312

OS Grid: TG372163

Mapcode National: GBR XJL.49T

Mapcode Global: WHMTC.4LT7

Entry Name: St James Hospital Chapel

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224377

Location: Horning, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Horning

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Horning St Benedict

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Horning

Listing Text

HORNING
TG 31 NE
8/46 St. James' Hospital Chapel
16.4.55
- II

Chapel to Hospital of St. James, the last pilgrimage stop before St. Benet's
Abbey. Founded 1153, chapel built C14, dissolved 1539, converted to barn late
C18 and altered. Coursed cut flint with ashlar dressings and brick repairs.
Thatched roof. Rectangular plan with diagonal stepped corner buttresses and
2 stepped side buttresses to north and south flanks. Arched west doorway with
C20 door. Hood mould hollow and wave moulded. Above is blocked arched window.
Buttresses with flushwork. North side buttresses ruinous. Central segmental-
headed C20 barn doors. To right and left one blocked C14 window with hood
mould. Low arched recess to left, blocked with brick. South side with small
central C20 access door flanked by 2 C14 arched windows as north. East end
window also blocked, now with segmental-headed hay loft access door. Gabled
roof with C18 raised parapets on kneelers. Interior. Window embrasures and
some C14 jambs survive. Roof of tie beams, principals, 2 tiers butt purlins
and curved collars. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County number 142.


Listing NGR: TG3722016312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.