This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4207 / 52°25'14"N
Longitude: 1.2521 / 1°15'7"E
OS Eastings: 621232
OS Northings: 285271
OS Grid: TM212852
Mapcode National: GBR VJW.CC3
Mapcode Global: VHL93.NF95
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 225854
Location: Pulham St. Mary, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP21
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Pulham St. Mary
Built-Up Area: Pulham St Mary
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Pulham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
5321 PULHAM ST MARY THE STREET
Church of St Mary
TM 2185 15A/1A 7.12.59
Mainly C14 and C15 with mid C13 chancel. Restored 1886-7 by Bodley. Nave
with Perpendicular north windows, clerestory and south aisle. Mid C13 chancel
with two lancets in north wall and later four-light east window with reticulated
tracery. Tall west tower with embattled parapet with flushwork panelling
and with diagonal buttresses. Very fine C15 two-storeyed south porch with
ashlar front and flushwork-panelled sides, reticulated openwork parapet with
pinnacles. Fleurons on the jambs and arch of doorway moulting, crested capitals,
spandrels depicting the Annunciation. Flanked by pair of niches. A frieze
of studs and above two, two-light windows and five niches. Interior of porch
has moulded and crenellated ceiling beams.
Interior: Perpendicular four-bay south arcade, with double-chamfered arches
and quatrefoil piers with foils. Arch-braced nave roof with tiebeams. South
aisle roof arch-braced with tracery in spandrels. Good mid C13 double piscina
in chancel with intersecting arches. C19 painted chancel roof with arch-braces.
Screen with ten painted figures in panelled base, the upper parts restored
by Bodley in 1886-7. Organ case also by Bodley. Good set of C15 benches
with poppy-heads bench ends and traceried panel backs to westernmost benches.
Timber staircase leading to ringing chamber in west end. Early C14 stained
glass in head of north east window of nave, and C15 figures in head of another
north window. C15 octagonal font.
Listing NGR: TM2123285271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings