History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Earsham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Earsham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4575 / 52°27'27"N

Longitude: 1.3957 / 1°23'44"E

OS Eastings: 630803

OS Northings: 289821

OS Grid: TM308898

Mapcode National: GBR WKT.ZN3

Mapcode Global: VHM6G.4HQD

Entry Name: Earsham Hall

Listing Date: 11 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050397

English Heritage Legacy ID: 225331

Location: Earsham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Earsham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Earsham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Ditchingham

Listing Text


1.
5321 EARSHAM HALL ROAD
Earsham Hall
TM 38 NW 17/2 11.9.51

II*

2.
Early C18 house with work by Soane circa 1784, and with C17 office wing and
some late C19 alterations.
Designed and built circa 1707 by John Buxton, 1685-1731, an amateur architect,
who sold it to Colonel Windham in 1721. A large plain red brick house, with
parapet, hipped slate roof, moulded stone cornice and string courses. Three
storeys. East front 2:3:2 bays, centre 3 bays recessed slightly. Tall sashes
with glazing bars and with flat rubbed brick arches, first floor centre,
3 windows in moulded architraves with cornices on console brackets. Ground
floor centre later porch in place of colonnade. South elevation 5 bays,
later ground floor bay window. Wing to north-east: ground floor, circa 1750,
Duke of Cumberland's dining room, and with late C19 storey above. Adjoining
to the north is late C17 wing/offices, of earlier house, long red brick range
with steep black glazed pantile roof with hipped ends, 2 storeys and attic,
4:3:6 bays, centre advanced slightly with shaped gable containing clock face,
mainly 2-light mullion/transom casements under segmental arches, 4 gabled
dormers, cupola over centre, and brick string course at floor level.
Service wing adjoining north-east of late C17 wing: C18 red brick block with
hipped black glazed pantile roof, 3 storeys, south elevation asymmetrical,
1:4:1 bays, end bays advanced, east elevation 4 bays with segmental-headed
casements.
Interior: Entrance hall with marble chimney piece and good staircase with
3 turned balusters to each tread. Drawing room with 2 contemporary marble
chimney pieces and plaster ceilings. Other contemporary panelled rooms and
later C18 chimney pieces. Small ground floor room with C17 panelling from
earlier house.
Soane's library added to south-east circa 1784 with fine plastered ceiling
and frieze and marble chimney piece, most of the bookshelves have been taken
out.
Duke of Cumberland's dining room of circa 1750 with fine plasterwork and
panelling and with marble chimney piece.
NMR Photographs.


Listing NGR: TM3080389821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.