This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.559 / 52°33'32"N
Longitude: 1.297 / 1°17'49"E
OS Eastings: 623583
OS Northings: 300792
OS Grid: TG235007
Mapcode National: GBR VH6.JQV
Mapcode Global: WHMTT.WYT2
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227215
Location: Stoke Holy Cross, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Stoke Holy Cross
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke Holy Cross Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
STOKE HOLY CROSS NORWICH ROAD
TG 20 SW
Church of the Holy Cross
Parish church. Mainly C13 with C14 alterations. Chancel re-roofed 1490 and
east window replaced (may refer only to glass). 1501 south porch. Heavily
restored 1879. Flint with ashlar dressings, the nave and chancel rendered.
Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage west tower with
diagonal buttresses to west. Lancet west window and lancets to ringing chamber
north and south. String course below belfry stage and 2-light Perpendicular
belfry windows under segmental arches. Crenellated parapet. Gabled flint and
brick south porch, restored. Rendered and chamfered brick entrance arch beneath
3-centred arch and hood mould. 2-light Perpendicular side windows. Moulded
brick 4-centred arch over inner doorway. 4 C19 lancets to south nave, one
of which is doubled. 3 C19 lancets to north nave, 2 of which are doubled.
C19 gabled north vestry in porch position. In nave south wall a monument to
Thomas Havers 1719. Segmental pediment to top carved with open book. Floral
carved border to inscription panel. Beneath sill an apron carved with symbols
of Thomas Haver's accomplishments and vocation : Theologia, Medicina,
Chryrurgia, et Lythotornia. Chancel lit through one double and one single lancet
to south and a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window. Angle buttresses
to east end. Stepped triple lancet east window, the lancets under running
hood mould. 2 lancets to north chancel and a lean-to C19 outbuilding. Leaning
against tower a C15 octagonal font with, in bowl panels, the signs of the 4
Evangelists. Leaning against chancel a head stone to Dorothy Burnn of 1653.
Stone. Rectangular with inscription panel defined by oval incised scroll-work.
Inscription in low cut letters remains legible. Interior. Arched tower arch.
Fine scissor braced nave roof with ashlaring and wall plate. C16 chancel roof
of arched braces dropping to wall posts and corbels. One tier moulded butt
purlins and ridge piece. C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds. Double
piscina within C19 trefoiled recess.
Listing NGR: TG2358300792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings