This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6131 / 52°36'47"N
Longitude: 1.3154 / 1°18'55"E
OS Eastings: 624551
OS Northings: 306864
OS Grid: TG245068
Mapcode National: GBR WDF.HT
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.5LM2
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227238
Location: Trowse with Newton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Trowse with Newton
Built-Up Area: Trowse Newton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Trowse St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TROWSE WITH NEWTON THE STREET
TG 20 NW
Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C13 chancel with much work done, including new east window,
1282-83 under Master Nicholas. C14 west tower, C15 nave, north aisle added
1901 during restorations of 1899-1905. Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave
roof of lead, chancel thatched. 3 stage unbuttressed tower. 3-light
Perpendicular west window. String courses below ringing chamber and belfry,
the former lit through cinquefoiled lancets under square hoods on labels, the
latter with 2-light renewed louvred flowing windows. Crenellated parapet.
2 storey south porch supported by diagonal stepped buttresses. Wave moulded
entrance arch. 2-light cusped side windows under square hoods on labels.
Cusped single lights under square hoods on labels to west, south and east sides
of parvise storey. Stair turret in north-west angle. Crenellated parapet
hides roof. One bay quadripartite rib vault to porch with transverse and ridge
ribs. Double nave moulded inner south doorway. Holy water stoup to right.
2 3-light renewed Perpendicular south nave windows and 2 side buttresses (one
blank bay). North aisle with 3 identical windows and a north door. C19
crenellated narthex constructed against south chancel wall and a gabled vestry
against north wall (now houses organ). 3-light east window of 1282-83 (restored
accurately). Shafts and rolls to jambs and mullions. Side lights trefoiled
and centre, taller, light cinquefoiled. Over side lights are 2 quatrefoils
tipping inwards and they carry a diagonal quatrefoil in tracery head. This
window design is extremely advanced for its date. Above dado to right of window
a statuary niche. Below it an inscription recording construction of chancel
by William de Kirbly, Prior of Norwich Cathedral between 1272-88. Interior.
Tall tower arch, double chamfered. Octagonal 4 bay north arcade of 1901
carrying double chamfered arches. Nave roof of moulded principals on arched
braces dropping to wall posts on corbels. Moulded purlins and ridge piece.
Octagonal C15 font. Against stem are crouching lions, eagles and sitting
figures. Winged angels under bowl. Bowl panels have 4 lions and angels bearing
shields (on the shields emblems of the Trinity and Instruments of Passion).
In the nave a brass to Elizabeth Dalyson 1585 : full height with inscription
panel. Boarded C19 chancel roof. C19 arch into narthex. Trefoiled piscina
of 1282-83 : pierced spandrels and with roll mouldings. Mullions of east window
enriched by filleted rolls. Jambs have rolls only. Around pulpit are 3 Baroque
timber life-sized figures of David playing a harp and 2 angels blowing trumpets.
Listing NGR: TG2455106864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings