This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5289 / 52°31'44"N
Longitude: 1.5622 / 1°33'43"E
OS Eastings: 641715
OS Northings: 298301
OS Grid: TM417983
Mapcode National: GBR XLL.KR9
Mapcode Global: VHM65.1P6P
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227134
Location: Thurlton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Thurlton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thurlton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
THURLTON CHURCH ROAD
TM 49 NW
7/132 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, late C13 chancel with C15 additions and remodelling.
Flint with limestone dressings. Nave and chancel thatched, porch pantiled.
West tower, nave, chancel, north porch. C15 square west tower with diagonal
buttresses. Base course of diagonal chequerwork in flushwork and stone;
upper band of blank arcading with flushwork infill. North and south sound
openings square headed with ogee cusped decoration. 2-light bell openings
with elliptical arched heads. Parapet of flushwork arcading with polygonal
corner piers. Good Norman south door with two orders of shafts and cushion
capitals; arches with bobbin, volute and zigzag decoration. Tall 2-light
nave windows with Perpendicular tracery and stilted hood moulds. Staged
buttresses divide bays. At the south-east corner of nave, a smaller renewed
high level window above a polygonal projection with a plain tiled roof.
Chancel has one 2-light C15 window and one 2-light C13 with cusped 'Y'
tracery. Plain round headed priests door. Restored 3-light Perpendicular
east window. North chancel wall has blocked lancet and a 2-light window
with cusped 'Y' tracery. Elaborate C15 north porch; gable wall of flushwork
with decorative brickwork in gable apex. Entrance arch has spandrels with
shields. Square headed 2-light east and west windows. Diagonal buttresses
to gable. Good north doorway with hood mould on angel corbels, angels in
spandrels and a figure at the arch apex. Interior: nave roof boarded,
chancel roof plastered, both on moulded cornices. C15 screen, one light
divisions with crocketted gables, original colour and trail decoration.
Chancel arch with tall attached shafts. Good wall monument in chancel to
Margaret Denny (d.1717): a drapery cartouche with arms above. Classical
monument to Ann Denny (d.1665) with a broken scrolled pediment with arms.
In the chancel floor several good C17 memorial slabs to the Denny family.
Wall painting: large figure of St. Christopher on north wall of nave. C15
font, octagonal on one step, four lions around the stem, angels with out-
spread wings forming corbel below bowl, alternating shields and roses around
Listing NGR: TM4171598301
Other nearby listed buildings