History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wandregelius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bixley, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5955 / 52°35'43"N

Longitude: 1.3334 / 1°20'0"E

OS Eastings: 625859

OS Northings: 304964

OS Grid: TG258049

Mapcode National: GBR WJ6.7XX

Mapcode Global: WHMTV.G151

Entry Name: Church of St Wandregelius

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050487

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227139

Location: Bixley, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Bixley

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Poringland Great All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bramerton

Listing Text

BIXLEY --
TG 20 SE
5/1
Church of St.
26/11/59
Wandregeselius
II*
Parish church. Early C14 west tower, repaired early C16 and restored 1868.
Remainder of church 1868. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Plain
tile roofs. West tower, nave, continuous chancel and transepts. Square
unbuttressed 2 stage tower. C19 2-light Flowing west window. Ogeed lancets
to belfry. Crenellated brick parapet. Polygonal stair turret to south-east
corner with brick quoins. Gabled south porch with double chamfered entrance
arch and large kneelers. 2 trefoiled lancets to nave walls and one double
lancet. Gabled north vestry in position of north door. 2-light Flowing north
window. Gabled south transept lit through a 2-light Perpendicular south
window below a cusped triangular window. North transept is similar except
an arched door replaces the principal window. 3-light Perpendicular east
window. Interior. Tall chamfered tower opening with double chamfered
stilted arch. Plain C19 octagonal font. 1868 nave roof of one tier butt
purlins, collars and ridge piece. C19 screen of 2 bays right and left of
central opening. Much cusped tracery in head. Quadripartite timber roof over
transeptal chapel space before altar (reminiscent of that by S.S. Teulon at
Brettenham, Norfolk, 1852). Fine Renaissance monument to Edward Ward 1583
: Ionic pilasters support pediment above strapwork frieze. Within pediment
a coat of arms. Below frieze is a shallow 4-centred arch defining central
panel between pilasters and within this is relief depiction of Edward Ward
and wife kneeling at prayer desk. Behind Ward are 9 sons, behind wife are
3 daughters. Plinth of monument with strapwork decoration. Wall monument
to Sir Randall Ward 1762 of stone and marble : 2 almost free-standing weeping
cherubs flank inscription panel. Achievement in apron. Above is open
pediment. Wall monument to Sir Edward Ward 1742 : 2 marble Corinthian columns
support broken segmental pediment and frame inscription panel. In apron are
3 putti heads. Signed by Robert Page. Obelisk monument to Susan, Countess
Rosebery 1771 : marble obelisk above stone sarcophagus. Plain.


Listing NGR: TG2585904964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.