This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5914 / 52°35'29"N
Longitude: 1.3883 / 1°23'17"E
OS Eastings: 629597
OS Northings: 304686
OS Grid: TG295046
Mapcode National: GBR WJ8.HSV
Mapcode Global: WHMTW.94B5
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227142
Location: Bramerton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bramerton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bramerton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 20 SE
5/4 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. West tower c.1300, nave and chancel C14, north
transept is 1857. Restored, re-seated and re-roofed 1866. Local tradition
holds that the church was built in 1462, reflected by White's and Kelly's
directories and the will of Richard Medewe, proved in 1463, leaves 12d to the
"construction of the church". Probably the building was partially
reconstructed or altered at that date. Flint with ashlar dressings and some
brick. Slate roofs. 3 stage square unbuttressed west tower. Cinquefoiled
western lancet. Blocked slit light to ringing chamber. 2 cusped Y tracery
belfry windows with pierced Somerset infil. Plain parapet with corner
obelisks. Embracing tower to north and south are rare extensions in the form
of closed rooms, probably part of 1463 work, supported on diagonal flushwork
buttresses. No windows. Plain tile roofs at nave height. Gabled south porch
with stepped diagonal buttresses and moulded arched opening. Side lights are
lancets, that to east under square hood. Plank and muntin south door. One
2-light cusped proto-Perpendicular south nave window. Stepped side buttresses
to east end of nave, that to north side mostly removed on construction of
gabled transept : diagonal buttresses, 2-light north window and 2-light east
window. No west window owing to existence of a gabled C19 vestry built over
north door and abutting transept. 2 C14 2-light south chancel windows with
cusped 4-petal vesicas. The eastern one is reduced due to early C17 brick
priests' doorway : moulded 4-centred arch within moulded square surround.
One lancet to north chancel. Diagonal flushwork east chancel buttresses flank
3-light reticulated east window. Interior. Wave moulded low tower arch.
Side rooms with traceried squints, that to north now blocked. Octagonal font
bowl with, on the underside, fleurons and seaweed foliage carving. C20
octagonal plinth. Nave and chancel roofs of 1866 : arched braces from
principals drop to head corbels. Moulded wall plates. Ridge piece and one
tier purlins. False hammerbeam roof to north transept. Candle holders and
brass reflecting plates survive. Rood stairs partly revealed to south side.
Hollow chamfered chancel arch with circular responds rising to fluted
capitals. Early C18 altar rails with tapering square section reeded balusters.
Listing NGR: TG2959704686
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings