This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5409 / 52°32'27"N
Longitude: 1.4836 / 1°29'0"E
OS Eastings: 636324
OS Northings: 299370
OS Grid: TM363993
Mapcode National: GBR XL9.PX0
Mapcode Global: VHM63.NDPJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227003
Location: Chedgrave, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Chedgrave
Built-Up Area: Loddon
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Chedgrave All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
CHEDGRAVE HARDLEY ROAD,
TM 39 NE South side
6/1 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, tower base possibly earlier, much restored in early C19.
Flint with limestone dressings; nave and chancel rendered over, much brick
and conglomerate in tower. C19 red brick chancel. Tower roof thatched, nave
and chancel slated, south porch plain-tiled. Nave, chancel, south porch,
north aisle, north east tower. Small nave west window, single light with
pointed arch and attached collonettes. Late C19 south porch of knapped flint
with 2-light east and west windows; parapeted gable with cross-finial. South
nave and chancel windows 2-light with 'Y' tracery. Nave east gable weather-
boarded. East window C15, three lights with Perpendicular tracery. Tall
east gable parapet. Rainwater hopper at junction of chancel and tower dated
T.B.1819. Square, unbuttressed tower: brick-dressed bell-openings with
elliptical arches. Chamfered stone dressings to north side bell opening.
Double lancet in north wall, small double splayed slit window in east wall.
Western bell opening infilled in red brick and partly masked by north aisle
roof. Early C19 north aisle of red brick with two 2-light windows, one in
Perpendicular style, one with 'Y' tracery. Lancet in west gable wall;
parapeted gable on moulded stone kneelers. C12 north and south doorways in
nave, the north door with one order of shafts on cushion capitals,
plain-chamfered inner arch and zigzag moulded hood. The south doorway very
elaborate: two orders of decorated shafts with cushion and leaf-moulded
capitals, arches with rope moulding, intersecting zigzags and hood mould of
two orders of overlapping plates. South door has elaborate ironwork dated
1819. Interior: north arcade of two bays: plain octagonal pier and single
chamfer to arches. Plastered nave and aisle ceilings with moulded coving.
Chancel roof with butt-purlins and solid braces on wall-posts. South-east
corner of chancel has cusped piscina with petalled bowl and pedimented wall
monument to Henry Webster (d.1694). In the northeast corner of chancel an
oval tablet to Thomas Webster (d.1794) and his wife Mary (d.1808).
Semicircular arched opening to tower in north chancel wall. East window of
tower double-splayed and set in semicircular headed recess. Some good memorial
slabs in nave floor, notably that to Robert Gilbert (d.1671). Font, C15,
octagonal with stem of cusped arcading and bowl with winged angels bearing
shields. East window contains C16 and foreign glass, said to have been brought
from Rouen by Lady Beauchamp Proctor c.1797.
Listing NGR: TM3632499370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings