History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Melton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6173 / 52°37'2"N

Longitude: 1.1796 / 1°10'46"E

OS Eastings: 615341

OS Northings: 306912

OS Grid: TG153069

Mapcode National: GBR VG8.YWS

Mapcode Global: WHLSG.2GZW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226943

Location: Little Melton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Little Melton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Melton Little All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bawburgh

Listing Text

TG 10 NE LITTLE MELTON MILL LANE

2/58 Church of St. Mary
26.11.59 and All Saints

II*

Parish church, early C14, flint with stone dressings, plain tiles. West
tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Square tower
with shallow diagonal buttresses; Perpendicular 3-light west windows; Y
tracery bell openings (that to west with apex lost); embattled parapet with
brick dressings. South nave rendered; south aisle with raised parapet
to west, tar felt roof; 3 wide openings with Y tracery and lozenge under
4-centred arch; Y tracery to east of aisle. 2 scratch dials to south-east
quoin of south aisle. South porch with gable parapet and pantiles; south
facade with flint flushwork with late C15 brick, similar brick dressings;
double chamfered arch with polygonal jambs; small lancets to porch returns.
Plain chamfered south doorway with deeply undercut hood mould and king and
queen figure stops. Shorter north aisle, east and west windows and 2 north
windows as to south aisle. North doorway as south doorway. Chancel with
two lancets to south, lancet and Y tracery opening to north; 2-light east
window with reticulated tracery. Interior: 4 bay arcade to south and 2
bay arcade to north, both of C14 with octagonal piers, moulded capitals,
double chamfered arches with hollow outer chamfers, foliage corbels to
responds. Similar chancel arch. Chancel: roof renewed; double piscina
and double sedilia; C15 painted screen with Decorated tracery to panels
and ogee headed lights with Decorated tracery; altar rails of reused
Decorated tracery with brattishing from C15 screen; return stalls
incorporating panels with similar tracery; stalls with reused wood from
panels of former screen; C17 table frame of unpolished wood with turned
legs, each leg now with additional leg to match; frame supports repositioned
mensa of Purbeck marble; east wall with metal commandment and credo panelled
boards. Wall paintings on east wall, c.1300, of Annunciation with Archangel
to left and Virgin to right; north wall with mural monument, 1656, to Richard
and Bridgett Scottowe, black and white marble with heraldic cartouche above;
below 4 small copper plates, C17 and C18, finely engraved to members of
the Scottowe family (silversmiths), all framed in marble; south wall with
mural monument 1718 to Thomas and Mary Johnson, white marble with convex
face, sculptured arms below, flanking Corinthian columns. Nave: roof
renewed; brick floor; pulpit of panels of C15 screen with Decorated tracery
and brattishing as to Rails, two panels to interior with traces of pigment,
one of a figure, north wall with wall paintings, one c.1300 of two seated
ladies with rosaries: C13 octagonal font of Purbeck marble with shallow
blank arcades to splayed faces, bowl supported by central column and 8 small
colonettes. North and South aisles: some original rafters, north aisle with
early baording; wall plates above arcades, that to south aisle moulded;
stumps of former rafters below wall plates; stoup inside south doorway;
curved steps from north aisle to former rood loft, former piscina to north
aisle now in arcade respond, trefoil head with trefoils to spandrels. Some
wall paintings to north aisle.


Listing NGR: TG1534106912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.