This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.475 / 52°28'30"N
Longitude: 1.5519 / 1°33'6"E
OS Eastings: 641314
OS Northings: 292276
OS Grid: TM413922
Mapcode National: GBR XM5.WQ4
Mapcode Global: VHM6J.V19Z
Entry Name: Gillingham Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226835
Location: Gillingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR34
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Gillingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
GILLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
TM 49 SW
8/58 Gillingham Hall
Country house, c.1600 with early C18 and early C19 additions. Red brick,
formerly limewashed; roofs slated and plain tiled. 2 storeys and attics.
Symmetrical facade to west of eleven bays arranged 1:1:3:1:3:1:1. Sashes
with glazing bars and architraves. Gauged skewback arches over openings.
Bays 2, 6 and 10 break forward as three storey gabled projections; gables
have coped parapets with moulded kneelers and moulded brick base and apex
finials. Moulded brick eaves course. Large chimney stack on ridge line
behind southern-most projection: square base with four octagonal shafts with
moulded caps and bases. Square stack on ridge line off centre to north,
internal stack on north gable. Two pedimented dormers, symmetrically-placed
in bays 4 and 8. Later two-storey gabled bathroom wing on north end. C19
two storey canted bay added to south gable, tall sashes with glazing bars
and rubbed arches. Two first floor sashes have leaded glazing for chapel
room. Nesting recesses in brickwork of south gable. Early C19 two storey
block at south-east corner with tall ground floor sashes with glazing bars;
shallow pitched slate roof. Square staircase bay in north-east angle with
two tall segmental headed sashes with glazing bars; hipped slate roof behind
eaves parapet. Off centre tower against east wall, square three-storey base
becoming octagonal for three upper storeys; 2-light windows with ovolo moulded
mullions and surrounds, leaded glazing. Blind north-east and south-east
openings in top storey. Lead covered domed roof with louvred bell turret
and ogee dome above. Two attic dormers, one rebuilt C20 with pitched roof.
At the north-east corner a C18 two-storey service range with a hipped roof
of black glazed pantiles; to the south, two ground floor tripartite windows
with glazing bars in semicircular-headed openings. Three first floor sashes
with glazing bars. Brick dentil eaves. East wall colourwashed, irregular
fenestration of sashes with glazing bars and casements with leaded glazing.
Interior contains a fine staircase of c.1700 with carved tread ends, three
turned balusters per tread and raised and fielded dado panelling to walls.
Listing NGR: TM4131492276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings