History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirby Cane Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirby Cane, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4932 / 52°29'35"N

Longitude: 1.4941 / 1°29'38"E

OS Eastings: 637292

OS Northings: 294105

OS Grid: TM372941

Mapcode National: GBR XLX.LL2

Mapcode Global: VHM69.VL7K

Entry Name: Kirby Cane Hall

Listing Date: 25 September 1951

Last Amended: 30 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226859

Location: Kirby Cane, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Kirby Cane

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Kirby Cane All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Ellingham

Listing Text

KIRBY CANE WASH LANE
TM 39 SE
7/82 Kirby Cane Hall (formerly
25.9.51 listed as The Hall)

GV II*

Country house. C17 with late C18/early C19 remodelling. Red brick with
pantiled roof, hipped over rear range. Three storeys and two storeys with
attics. The main facade to the south is a refronting by Lord Berners of
c.1800: seven bays, three storeys, symmetrical. Sashes with glazing bars,
gauged skewback arches over openings. Central doorway with panelled reveal,
2-leaf doorand rectangular fanlight with web-pattern glazing bars. Portico
with Doric pilasters and two massive Tuscan columns, re-used. Moulded brick
string course at first and second floor levels. Wooden modillion eaves
cornice. East and west walls show steeper gable line of original house:
4-light mullion and transom windows with segmental pediments at second
floor level, lower window openings blocked. Ground floor doorways in east
wall with glazed panelled doors and 6-light fanlights, formerly entrance
to conservatory (now demolished). To the west, a one-bay single storey
wing with sash window and eaves parapet on moulded string course; corner
pilasters with moulded finial on south-west corner. Hipped 2 1/2 storey rear
range with sashes with glazing bars, some in segmental-headed openings;
two 4-light brick mullion and transom windows on east side. Chimney stacks
symmetrically placed on rear of south range. Interior: rear hall of
two-storey height containing fine oak staircase dated 1642 with heavy turned
newels and balusters on closed string with round billet moulding.
Staircase hall has oak panelling to first floor level and ceiling with heavy
roll-moulded beams. 5-light mullion and transom stair window with C19 stained
glass panels. Good C18 fireplaces in two principal ground floor rooms;
drawing room panelled 1936 with cedar from a tree felled in the park.


Listing NGR: TM3729294105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.