This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5816 / 52°34'53"N
Longitude: 1.4458 / 1°26'44"E
OS Eastings: 633543
OS Northings: 303778
OS Grid: TG335037
Mapcode National: GBR XKW.0CQ
Mapcode Global: WHMTX.5CQQ
Entry Name: Remains of Claxton Castle
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226742
Location: Claxton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Claxton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Claxton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
CLAXTON THE STREET, North
TG 30 SW side.
Remains of Claxton
Remains of fortified house. Licence to castellate granted to William de
Kerdiston in 1333, present remains probably later. Brick with flint and
limestone. Long wall with three round towers. Remains of stair at east
end: openings with eliptical brick arches. In the north face of the wall,
a large off-centre arched opening now blocked; one tower against the western
jamb of archway on south side of wall. Evidence of many blocked openings,
quoins etc. Twin towers at south-east with arch between at low level.
Western tower contains staircase. Thatched lean-to summer house at west
end. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 149.
Listing NGR: TG3354303778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings