History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shotesham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5413 / 52°32'28"N

Longitude: 1.2986 / 1°17'55"E

OS Eastings: 623781

OS Northings: 298826

OS Grid: TM237988

Mapcode National: GBR VHD.R3Q

Mapcode Global: VHL8K.GDD6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226679

Location: Shotesham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Shotesham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Shotesham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Saxlingham Thorpe

Listing Text

TM 29 NW SHOTESHAM SHOTESHAM ST.MARY

6/102 Church of St.Mary
26/11/59
GV II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and brick dressings.
Pantiled roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel
with north chapel. West tower C15 or early C16 with much brick. Diagonal
buttresses and canted stair turret to north. 2-light brick bell-openings
with Y tracery (removed to south). 2-light traceried west window with
mouchettes beneath segmental head. Former clock recess above and crow-
stepped parapets with diagonally set finials. Nave south wall with some
C12 masonry. C13 nave doorways (blocked to north) with plain chamfered
reveals. Late medieval south door with a surviving iron loop-drop handle
decorated with a pair of winged dragons and a pierced backplate. 3 nave
windows of 1879 in Curvilinear style. C15 chancel and north chapel in
galletted flint and stone rubble. Simple cusped 3-light east window with
similar windows to south and to east of chapel. Sanctus bell. Chancel
piscina surrounded by moulded tiles depicting swans, 2-headed eagles with
crescents and rampant lions. Victorian reredos in Decorated style depicting
Last Supper. Fine brass of 1521 with effigies of Edward and Elizabeth
White. C15 octagonal font with angels and lions in panels, winged angel
corbels and supported by lions. Arch-braced chancel roof with possibly
original roll-moulded wall-plate. Group value in relation to Church of St.
Martin (6/103).


Listing NGR: TM2378198826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.