History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Saxlingham Nethergate, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.527 / 52°31'37"N

Longitude: 1.288 / 1°17'16"E

OS Eastings: 623137

OS Northings: 297204

OS Grid: TM231972

Mapcode National: GBR VHL.GH6

Mapcode Global: VHL8K.8RS5

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226628

Location: Saxlingham Nethergate, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Saxlingham Nethergate

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Saxlingham Nethergate St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Saxlingham Thorpe

Listing Text

In the entry for the following building:-


TM 2397 SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE CHURCH HILL

10/51
Church of St Mary
the Virgin
26/11/59

GV II

the Grade shall be amended to read II* (star).

------------------------------------

TM 2397 SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE CHURCH HILL
(north side)

10/51 Church of St.Mary
26/11/59 the Virgin.
(Formerly listed as Church of
GV St Mary)
II
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings
Slate and leaded roofs. West tower; nave with north aisle and south porch;
chancel with vestry to north. C15 west tower-with diagonal buttresses, 2-
light traceried bell-openings and polygonal stair turret to north. Crenellated
parapet with brick and flint chequered flushwork. Single handed chiming clock
of 1794 on south face with flanking pilasters and a sun dial. Victorian west
window and door. Main fabric of nave and chancel C11 or C12 heightened in
late Middle Ages. 2 late Perpendicular 3-light south nave windows with
embattled and cusped transoms and shallow heads. 2 2-light chancel windows
with trefoil heads and Perpendicular 3-light east window. North aisle and
vestry of 1867. Medieval south door with vertical fielded planks and cover
strips. North arcade of 1867 in Perpendicular style. Cusped angle piscina
in chancel. Remains of original Cll or C12 south door with springing of
undressed arch from a plain impost of re-used brick or tile. C15 octagonal
font with lions supporting bowl and lions and angels in panels. (Angels with
re-cut heads). Important fragments of medieval stained glass.


Listing NGR: TM2313797204

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.