This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5581 / 52°33'29"N
Longitude: 1.2015 / 1°12'5"E
OS Eastings: 617113
OS Northings: 300398
OS Grid: TG171003
Mapcode National: GBR VH2.QKP
Mapcode Global: WHLSN.FYCS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226578
Location: Bracon Ash, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bracon Ash
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hethel All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 10 SE BRACON ASH CHURCH ROAD,HETHEL
2/1 Church of All Saints
Hethel parish church, Medieval and later. Flint, rendered except for tower,
with ashlar dressings. Brick north chapel. Slate nave roof, eastern roof
not visible. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch and chancel
with former mausoleum. Cll west tower possibly pre-Conquest. Vestigial
long and short western quoins at low level, otherwise rubble quoining.
Blocked western door with re-used non-radial brick voussoirs. Post-Medieval
bell stage with wooden Y-traceried openings, crow-stepped parapets and
obelisk finials. Victorian traceried chancel windows in Decorated style.
Nave and aisle windows with wooden frames beneath segmental arches. Former
brick mausoleum to Branthwaite family of c.1730 with rusticated quoins,
2 blocked semi-circular headed windows to north, a large Victorian eastern
archway with wooden tracery, a dentil and moulded brick cornice and a
tall parapet with blocked 3-centred openings. C15 porch with a fine moulded
entrance and a later crow-stepped gable. 3-bay C14 or C15 north arcade
with octagonal piers and 2-ordered plain-chamfered arches. Tower arch in
similar style. Former mausoleum with 2 blank Classical tablets opened-up
to north aisle and chancel in C19. Fine coloured alabaster tomb of Myles
Branthwaite (died 1612) and his wife Mary to north side of chancel. Full
size effigies with Myles lying on side Mary on back. Flanking Corinthian
columns supporting a coffered arch and obelisks. Strapwork and painted
achievement above, inscription with elaborate cartouche in tympanum and
3 kneeling weepers below.
Listing NGR: TG1711300398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings