History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newton Flotman, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5391 / 52°32'20"N

Longitude: 1.2618 / 1°15'42"E

OS Eastings: 621298

OS Northings: 298475

OS Grid: TM212984

Mapcode National: GBR VHC.V3Z

Mapcode Global: VHL8J.TFFV

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226613

Location: Newton Flotman, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Newton Flotman

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Newton Flotman St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Saxlingham Thorpe

Listing Text

TM 29 NW NEWTON FLOTMAN CHURCH ROAD
(south-side)

6/36 Church of St.Mary the
26/11/59 Virgin
(Formerly listed as
II* Church of St. Mary)
-

Parish church. C15 and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings.
Lead roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with
organ extension to north. C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses and a
large west window with Victorian tracery. 2-light bell-openings with Per-
pendicular tracery and parapet with crow-stepped crenellations, gargoyles
and carved inscriptions with heraldry on eastern face. Stair turret to
north. Nave with 2 3-light cusped Y-traceried windows and 2 3-light Per-
pendicular windows, all restored. Chancel with modern traceried east window
and 2 2-light Perpendicular windows to south. Rebuilt C16 porch with some
original openings re-set. C15 tower-arch of 3 plain chamfered orders on
semicircular responds. Similar chancel arch on faceted responds. Blocked
former rood stair doorway with traceried spandrels to north and simple nave
piscina to south. Trefoil piscina in chancel. Wall monument in stone to
the Blondevile family, probably Thomas. Circa 1600. 3 panels divided by
pilasters and flanked by columns surmounted by obelisks. Semicircular-headed
pediment with blank tympanum. Kneeling figure in centre panel (probably
Thomas Blondevile) with 3 female weepers in left hand panel. Brass plaque,
probably re-set, in right hand panel with kneeling effigies of Edward
(died 1568), Radulph (died 1514) and Richard (died 1490) Blondevile.
Rhyming inscription and heraldic shields beneath plaque. Fine C15 poppy
head bench ends.


Listing NGR: TM2129898475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.