This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6107 / 52°36'38"N
Longitude: 1.1599 / 1°9'35"E
OS Eastings: 614041
OS Northings: 306123
OS Grid: TG140061
Mapcode National: GBR VGG.62V
Mapcode Global: WHLSF.SMJY
Entry Name: Remains of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Last Amended: 24 May 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226472
Location: Great Melton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Great Melton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Melton Great All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
A C15 and earlier tower, being the standing remains of the church of St. Mary.
The remaining tower of the demolished Church of St Mary, dating to the C15 and incorporating earlier fabric.
MATERIALS: knapped flint with stone dressings and Roman or early medieval brick.
EXTERIOR: an unbuttressed, roofless western tower is the only remaining part of the Church of St Mary. The tower has three stages demarcated by chamfered string courses and is constructed of flint with stone quoins and brick and stone dressings. The third stage (belfry) has two-light cusped bell openings with hood-moulds with carved label stops on each elevation. The three-centred tower arch on the east elevation has two chamfered orders in Roman or early medieval brick (probably reused) with a single, round-headed window above also with an early brick surround. The scars of two roof lines are apparent. The lower stage window opening on the west elevation has been partly destroyed, but a single lancet remains at the second stage.
The village of Great Melton in South Norfolk was divided into two distinct parishes, St. Mary's and All Saints. Although the churches are next to each other, each served a different manor historically until they were consolidated in the early C18. In approximately 1710, after an Act of Parliament, All Saints church was abandoned and the congregation worshipped at St Mary's until this church, too, became dilapidated. In 1882, the decision was made to restore All Saints at a cost of approximately £1,000, and to abandon St Mary's.
The Ordnance Survey map of 1882 indicates that St Mary's had a butressed nave, a south porch and a west tower. The nave and porch were demolished or fell down shortly after the church was abandoned. Little is known about the main body of the church, but the roof scars on the east elevation of the tower suggest that an early phase may have had a thatched roof. A single round headed window on the east elevation is likely to pre-date the C15. St Mary's church tower was listed at Grade II in November 1959.
The C15 tower of St Mary's church, Market Lane, Great Melton, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
Architectural Interest: its fabric dates to the C15 and earlier
Historic Interest: its continued survival is an important feature of the medieval churchyard landscape which reflects the history of this early medieval settlement
Intactness: the three stages of the C15 tower are little altered
Group Value: the tower has historical and architectural group value with the adjacent Church of All Saints, the ornate Lodge to Great Melton Hall, dated to 1818, and the remains of the early C17 Great Melton Hall, all listed at Grade II
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings