This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6328 / 52°37'57"N
Longitude: 1.1797 / 1°10'46"E
OS Eastings: 615270
OS Northings: 308635
OS Grid: TG152086
Mapcode National: GBR VG2.YWY
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.321Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Walstan
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226404
Location: Bawburgh, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bawburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bawburgh St Mary and St Walstan
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
CHURCH STREET (north side)
Church of St. Mary and St. Walstan
C12 tower, chancel c.1300, C15 nave. Galetted flint with brick and ashlar
dressings. Pantiled and plaintiled roofs. Round western tower with widened
aisleless nave, chancel and south porch. Former chapel attached to east bay
of north wall of nave. 3 light Y traceried east window with 2 cusped lancets
to south and one simple lancet with later single light window to north.
Perpendicular tracery in nave. Former rood stair to south. Tower with conical
roof and carved wooden pinnacle and late medieval bell-openings. C17 crow-
stepped nave gables. C13 tower arch and C15 arch-braced roof. Victorian
arch-braced chancel roof. Heavily restored C15 rood screen and arch-braced
rood beam. 4 C15 bench ends with carved poppy heads. Fragment of carved
C15 bench end attached to south wall. C17 turned poor box in the shape of
a baluster shaft. Fragments of late medieval stained glass. Fragmentary
late medieval wall painting on west wall.
Listing NGR: TG1527008635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings