This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6342 / 52°38'3"N
Longitude: 1.1866 / 1°11'11"E
OS Eastings: 615732
OS Northings: 308818
OS Grid: TG157088
Mapcode National: GBR VG3.SZ0
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.61BW
Entry Name: The Hermit's House
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Last Amended: 14 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226410
Location: Bawburgh, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bawburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bawburgh St Mary and St Walstan
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HALL FARM PLACE
The Hermit's House.
(Formerly listed as garden house)
Possible former dovecote to Bawburgh Hall (demolished). Mid C17
incorporating C14 decorative mouldings from a demolished ecclesiast-
ical structure. Square in plan and 2 storeys. Elaborate C14 plinth.
Blocked door to south, large C19 opening with segmental arch to north.
Moulded median frieze with 3 recessed circular medallions above it on
west side. Blocked moulded oval windows with winged angels in
spandrels on south and east sides. C14 quatrefoil frieze and C14
cornice with abundant foliage ornament. pyramidal roof with a badly
worn C14 pinnacle figure, possibly of Virgin and Child. C17 brick,
flint and stone wall with moulded brick coping abuts south west
corner. Listed II* for medieval remains.
Listing NGR: TG1573208818
Other nearby listed buildings