This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5397 / 52°32'22"N
Longitude: 1.7209 / 1°43'15"E
OS Eastings: 652415
OS Northings: 300040
OS Grid: TG524000
Mapcode National: GBR YS3.PXF
Mapcode Global: VHM67.SF3F
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227772
Location: Hopton-on-Sea, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Hopton-on-Sea
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hopton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HOPTON-ON-SEA LOWESTOFT ROAD
TG 50 SW
8/37 Church of St. Margaret
(formerly listed in
27.11.54 Herringfleet CP)
Parish church. 1866-67 by S.S. Teulon. Flint with Bath stone dressings.
Interior faced with gault and red brick. Plain tiled roofs, red and black.
Nave, central tower, transeptal protuberance and chancel. Early English style.
Solid masses arranged in a rough symmetry. 2 lancets in west wall separated
by a stepped buttress lead up to sexfoiled roundel. Small roof light above.
3 north nave windows and 2 to south, each of 2-light plate tracery type. Those
to north have wide brick relieving arches. Gabled south porch with moulded
entrance arch and low side buttresses. Arcade of windows to east and west
sides. Massive square crossing tower rises from lean-to transepts, the north
and south sides pierced by 3 lancets. Broaches below belfry convert tower
to octagonal plan. Paired belfry window lancets and, to alternate facets,
splayed sphercial triangles. Circular stair turret rises up south-east corner
and terminates in high conical roof. Transepts have 3 lancets to main fronts
although one is now blocked to north. The north transept also has a west door
below a roundel, and the south a vestry against its east gable. Chancel lit
through paired lancets and, further east, a single lancet. 3-light east window
of freely interpreted Geometric design. Interior. Appearance of decorative
austerity. Polychromatic effect achieved by eccentric use of red brick round
arches and window embrasures. Scissor braced nave roof with prominent
ashlaring. Hexagonal lobed font with central drum and orbiting marble shafts.
Rere arches to windows are exaggerated. Crossing arches are taller to east
and west, where responds die into wall. North and south arches die into walls
without the assistance of responds. Timber arched barrel chancel roof.
Stepped double sedilia and double piscina, oddly arranged one over the other.
Chancel stained glass by William Morris and Company to designs by Sir Edmund
Burne-Jones 1881. To the north Humility and Faith. To the south Hope and
Charity. The east window is a Resurrection of 1901.
Listing NGR: TG5241500040