This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6745 / 52°40'28"N
Longitude: 1.5908 / 1°35'26"E
OS Eastings: 642846
OS Northings: 314588
OS Grid: TG428145
Mapcode National: GBR YPM.70N
Mapcode Global: WHMTL.D1QG
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051017
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227679
Location: Fleggburgh, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Fleggburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Clippesby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 41 SW
6/9 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Early C13, some fenestration C14 and C15. Tower heightened
1875, chancel restored 1891. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
West tower, nave and continuous chancel. Circular tower originally of 2
stages. C19 lancet to ground floor, facing west. Encircled quatrefoil
ringing chamber windows to north, south and west. Octagonal 1875 belfry with
stone windows to alternating facets. Double crenellated parapet. North door
c,1200 : one order of colonnettes with scalloped capitals and cushion bases;
punched decorated arch on block imposts; arch with zig-zag mouldings below
double billet hood mould. 2 C13 lancets to nave separated by one 2-light
Perpendicular window under depressed arch. Gabled south porch with hollow
and chamfered arch. Cusped rectangular windows to flanks. Inside porch are
incorporated remains of original south doorway : zig-zag and fragments of
decorative roundels in soffits. Nave pierced by a 2-light ogeed C14 window,
a late C13 cinquefoiled lancet and a stilted 3-light Perpendicular window.
Chancel lower than nave. On south side are 2 2-light Perpendicular windows
and an arched priests' door. 4-light C19 east window. North chancel wall
is blank. Interior. Responds to tower arch are double hollow chamfered.
Holy water stoup by north door. Octagonal C15 font with traceried ogee stem
and truncated bowl. Under bowl is a frieze of winged angels bearing books.
C19 scissor braced nave roof. Chancel roof of principals and one tier butt
purlins, also C19. Early C13 chancel piscina. One order of shafts with
moulded bases and waterleaf capitals. Multiple roll moulded arch and hood
mould on label stops. Below is a C13 aumbry retaining decorated iron strap
hinges. Brass to Thomas Pallyng and wife Emme, 1503, in civil costume with
inscription. Further brass to John Clippesby, his wife Julian and children,
1594, he in military costume, she in civil. Inscription.
Listing NGR: TG4284614588
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings