This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9603 / 54°57'37"N
Longitude: -2.6599 / 2°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 357839
OS Northings: 563049
OS Grid: NY578630
Mapcode National: GBR 9CV2.XN
Mapcode Global: WH90Z.3LM7
Entry Name: Denton Hall and Adjoining Barn/Stables
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78069
Location: Nether Denton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Civil Parish: Nether Denton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Nether Denton St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 56 SE NETHER DENTON
1.4.57 Denton Hall and
- adjoining barn/
Farmhouse, formerly tower house and hall. C14 tower for Denton family, with
extensions dated 1829 over entrance, as part of the Earl of Carlisle's estate.
Tower has walls over 2 metres thick of large blocks of calciferous sandstone
rubble; extensions of mixed calciferous and red sandstone rubble with ashlar
quoins; graduated green slate roof with coped gables and kneelers, cream brick
chimney stacks on ashlar bases. Extended front, 2 storeys, 3 bays. 6-panel
door with radial fanlight has alternate block surround and round arch with dated
keystone. Sash windows with glazing bars have plain raised stone surrounds.
Original tower still stands 3 storeys high, walls partly reduced in height when
gabled roof added; walls now partly internal but part of rear wall and side wall
of the extended house are the tower walls. Rear has gabled C19 porch and C19
2-light mullioned windows. Left of porch is C19, but large footing stones
suggest this is on the earlier foundations of the hall. Interior of tower is in
an unaltered condition and has many features not visible from the outside and
now covered by later buildings. Ground floor is not vaulted; splayed window in
north wall has been enlarged. Newel staircase has ground floor entrance in
south angle of east wall. First floor room has filled 2-light mullioned window
in south wall with shouldered rear arch, splayed and with 2 step window seat;
flanking narrow entrances have shouldered arches, that to left leads to stair and
right is garderobe with small square filled window. Similar splayed window in
west wall has also been filled; enlarged splayed window in north wall. Filled
fireplace in east wall, retains its hearth stone. Corbel stones for original
ceiling are still in place, with later ceiling on a similar level, supported on
beams sunk into wall. Second floor is now in roof space; stair continues up for
4-5 steps and stops. Adjoining barn/stables of 2 storeys, 4 bays, have
whitewashed walls, plank doors and similar mullioned windows to rear of house.
Encircling dry moat and earthworks remain in part. See Curwen, Castles & Towers
of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p276-7. Detached barn is listed separately.
Listing NGR: NY5783963049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings