This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9195 / 54°55'10"N
Longitude: -2.616 / 2°36'57"W
OS Eastings: 360613
OS Northings: 558486
OS Grid: NY606584
Mapcode National: GBR BC5K.F8
Mapcode Global: WH915.SLGZ
Entry Name: Tarn House
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78060
Location: Midgeholme, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Civil Parish: Midgeholme
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Farlam St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 60560 58480 MIDGEHOLME
NY 65 NW
7/69 Tarn House
(formerly listed under
Midgeholme and Geltsdale)
Farmhouse, formerly tower house. Late C15 for Humphrey, Lord Dacre, with
extensions and alterations dated 1843 over entrance and initials T.(&) M.H. on
inscribed stone set into wall. Calciferous sandstone rubble walls, over one
metre thick and in places 2 metres thick in tower; wall of tower raised by about
3 courses when gabled roof added 1843; graduated slate roof with eaves
modillions, yellow brick chimney stacks on stone bases. 2 storeys; 3-bay tower
with 2-bay extension under common roof. Tower has projecting stone gabled porch
with plank door and dated lintel. Angle buttress to left, with probable filled
entrance between this and porch. Original small filled ground floor window to
right; small windows above are 1843. Rear wall has large footing stones and
plinth. Original ground floor entrance is filled; windows all of 1843.
Extension left has plank door with plain stone surround. Ground floor 2-light
sash windows with glazing bars; similar 2-pane sashes above. Rear wall includes
older stonework, which may be from the curtain wall referred to by Curwen,
Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p410-411. See Transactions
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, xi, p234, which
refers to a document of 1485 mentioning 'a new built house called Ternehouse'.
Overlooks Tindale Tarn and on a good defensive site.
Listing NGR: NY6061358486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings