This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9109 / 54°54'39"N
Longitude: -2.8039 / 2°48'14"W
OS Eastings: 348556
OS Northings: 557651
OS Grid: NY485576
Mapcode National: GBR 8CVN.RC
Mapcode Global: WH7ZY.WTZL
Entry Name: Greenholme Lodge and Flanking Walls, with Bollards to Right
Listing Date: 28 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78053
Location: Hayton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Hayton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Hayton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 45 NE 4/62
Greenholme Lodge and flanking walls, with bollards to right
House, formerly lodge to Edmond Castle. Circa 1824, probably by Sir Robert Smirke. Snecked red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with pilastered angles, moulded cornice and battlemented parapet; green and Welsh slate roof, yellow brick chimney stacks. 1½ storeys, single bay on either side of carriageway with joining pointed arch. Large windows with pointed moulded surrounds; replacement glazing bars date from c1953. Entrances to each building from carriageway have plain stone surrounds. Side wall to building left has C20 windows in C20 openings. Gabled roof to each building to rear. Short screen walls of similar stonework to each side end in tall capped piers. Gates removed 1940 and drive now closed (no longer entrance to castle). Stone bollards in front of house, to right, with chains removed. A similar gatehouse nearer the castle has been demolished.
Listing NGR: NY4855657651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings