History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brooke, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5454 / 52°32'43"N

Longitude: 1.3818 / 1°22'54"E

OS Eastings: 629397

OS Northings: 299541

OS Grid: TM293995

Mapcode National: GBR WJV.G4H

Mapcode Global: VHL8L.W9V2

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 5 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227355

Location: Brooke, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Brooke

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Brooke St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Brooke

Listing Text


TM 2999 BROOKE THE STREET

7/14 Church of St.Peter
5.9.60

- II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint and iron-bound conglomerate with brick and
stone dressings. Slate and tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south
porch, chancel. C12 round tower with some conglomerate. Small round-headed
windows to south and west with blocked slits above. Round-headed window
at higher level to north. 4 bell-openings facing roughly north east, south
east, north west and south west with rendered brick dressings. Polygonal
parapet, chequerwork brick and flint. 3 bay nave with C19/20 brick buttresses
to south; 2 restored windows of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred
arches, one with brick hood mould, one with C19 stone hood; brick relieving
arches over both. North aisle, perhaps the 'new aisle' mentioned in Will
of 1508. C19 west window of 3 lights. Doorway with continuous chamfer and
hood mould. Square headed window of 2 ogee lights; one C19 3-light. Eastern
aisle window with 2 ogee lights. Clerestorey of 8 C19 stone-dressed windows.
2 lead plaques. Chancel of 2 bays with C19/20 brick buttresses. To south
restored priest's doorway with C19 hood mould with figure-stops. C19 2-light
Decorated window. To north, one 2-light Decorated window. East window C19
of 3 lights. Porch to south nave restored with C20 brick. C19 2-light
windows to east and west. Niche with brick reveals over archway which has
shafts, simple capitals and chamfered arch. C12 doorway to nave has
continuous inner order, outer attached shafts with debased acanthus capitals
with imposts; hood mould with figure-stops. Medieval door. Interior. North
arcade of 4 bays with one pier to west having continuous moulding, one
octagonal pier with attached shaft to'east and one octagonal pier. 2 4-
centred arches to west, 2 pointed arches to east. Stoup beside south door.
Aumbry in south nave wall. Door to tower. Chancel arch with imposts. Arch-
braced nave roof with angels holding shields, restored. Arched braced roof
to aisle. Double piscina in chancel with triangular arches and free-standing
shaft between. C19 fittings probably of restoration of 1849. Fine seven
sacrament font mentioned in wills of 1466-8, defaced.


Listing NGR: TM2939799541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.