This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6278 / 52°37'40"N
Longitude: 1.2994 / 1°17'57"E
OS Eastings: 623392
OS Northings: 308451
OS Grid: TG233084
Mapcode National: GBR W9X.SN
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.X6XS
Entry Name: 56-60, King Street
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229192
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1
District Council Ward: Thorpe Hamlet
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St John, Timberhill
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 SW KING STREET
26.2.54. Nos. 56 to 60 (even).
Original use unknown. C19 public house and shops under restoration at time
of re-survey. C17 street range with early C17 and C19 rear ranges. Red
brick. Brick and flint rubble. Pantile roof. The street range has a syn-
metrical plan with centre stack and stack stairs. C.1700. 3 storeys 9
windows (2 blocked) at 2nd floor. Late C19 shop front to the right with
inset side door and simple fascia between consoles. Plain, C19 pub front
with central window and side door. Partly glazed door with fanlight and one
window between public house and shop. C17 carriage entry on extreme left.
4 C19 sash windows with glazing bars and rubbed brick flat arches alternating
with 3 blind window openeings. The extreme right-hand window has side lights.
Moulded brick stringcourse above which stops over carriage entry bay. C17
mullion and transom windows at 2nd floor with bottom, side-hung lights. 2
of these are blocked and the 2 right-hand windows have been replaced by C19
sashes. 8 curving gablets and a central Dutch gable with a dormer casement
window. The gables are re-built in C19 brick but probably represent the
original build. At right-angles to the street line along the carriage entry
is a 2 storey, 3 bay early C17 block with ceiling beams having fine knicked
chamfer stops. Double butt-purlin roof with evidence of lost dormers.
Across the width of this block in the street range are C16 ground floor
ceiling beams. Undercroft:- Brick. At right-angles to and away from the
street line beneath the early C17 block. 2 bay with single-order diagonal
ribs springing from wall piers. 2 long side chambers extending beneath the
yard. One side chamber on the north and west walls. The C19 stairs break
through the original entry. The right-hand rear addition is 3 storeys with
sash windows throughout and 3 gables. The building is grade II* because of
the undercroft, one of an important group with the City Walls.
Listing NGR: TG2339208451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings