This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6342 / 52°38'3"N
Longitude: 1.299 / 1°17'56"E
OS Eastings: 623335
OS Northings: 309164
OS Grid: TG233091
Mapcode National: GBR W9V.KL
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.X1RV
Entry Name: St Edmunds Church
Listing Date: 5 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229091
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Colegate
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2309 SW FISHERGATE
5.6.72 St. Edmunds Church
Former parish church now redundant. C15 and C16. Flint with stone and
brick dressings. Slate roof. West tower. Nave and chancel in one.
South aisle and south chapel. North porch and C19 vestry. 3-stage tower
with 2-stage diagonal buttresses. 3-light perpendicular west window.
Square sound holes with rose tracery and 2-light cusped belfry windows.
Flat parapet. 2 and 3-light perpendicular windows to nave. Single-storey
porch with gable and single angle buttresses. Scar of rood turret on
north wall. Tower arch. Fine butt-purlin roof with attached arch-braces
springing from wall-posts. Curving well-braces spring from alternate wall-posts.
Carved bosses at the intersection of the ridge-piece and principal rafters.
Building sequence:- In 1441 a south chapel was added to the aisle-less nave
and chancel. This now forms the central part of the aisle. Late C15 the
chapel was extended to form the south aisle and in the early C16 extended east
to form chancel aisle.
Listing NGR: TG2333509164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings