This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6255 / 52°37'31"N
Longitude: 1.2366 / 1°14'11"E
OS Eastings: 619153
OS Northings: 308001
OS Grid: TG191080
Mapcode National: GBR W01.YK
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.Z80K
Entry Name: Earlham Hall and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229031
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR4
District Council Ward: University
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Earlham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 10 NE EARLHAM
26.2.54 Earlham Hall and attached
Large house. Late C16 core with C17, C18 and early C20 additions.
C20 alterations by Edward Boardman. Brick and flint rubble with
red brick dressings and rendered plinth on north (entrance) front;
red brick for C18 and C19 additions, plain tiled roof; 2 sets of
clustered red brick ridge chimneys (restored) on main range with
other scattered stacks . Cross-wing plan of 2-storeys and attic.
Brick and stone quoins of original single-span range to south are
visible on the west front under added twin gables with iron numerals
16/42. Converted to 2-span roof by addition of parallel range with
cross-wings to north, remodelled in C18, including addition of a
canted wing to west, and restored in Cl9. Cl9 single-storey pavillions
added at corners. Entrance front (north) 3 steps up to double
panelled door with rusticated pilasters under a pediment. 3-4
window range of sashes with glazing bars in flush-fronted moulded
architraves under flat gauges brick arches. Modillion cornice.
Cross-wings each have 2 ground and first floor windows and canted
front bays with 4 windows. Garden front (south) is a 5-window range
of sashes with glazing bars and some leaded lights, flanked by large
2-storey canted bays added in C18. Brickwork of 2 shaped gables
indicates that these, too, are later additions. Former coach house
converted to stable attached to north-east corner of Earlham Hall
is of C19 red brick with pantiled roof and has flint rubble walls (C.17)
to rear with C17 timbers inside. Tumbled brick gable to right wing
and tall blocked round headed arch in left part with end pilasters and
occuli in the east wall. Donkey engine house for well, pentagonal
structure, brick piers, slate roof and original equipment of C1880.
Interior of the house: Entrance hall has re-set panelling, including
some C17; remodelled moulded plaster ceiling with fragment of
original above stairs; C17 staircase with flat balusters, probably
originally one of a pair flanking the main entrance. First-floor
room in west cross-wing has bolection moulded fireplace and C18
panelling with fluted pilasters in the canted bay. Another similar
fireplace in ground floor passage. C17 timbers on first floor,
including chamfered and stopped doorcase on corridor. Plank doors
in attic. Former library in single-storey south-east wing fitted by
E. Boardman, 1908.
Listing NGR: TG1915308001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings