This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6319 / 52°37'54"N
Longitude: 1.3009 / 1°18'3"E
OS Eastings: 623476
OS Northings: 308911
OS Grid: TG234089
Mapcode National: GBR WB4.XR
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.Y3NM
Entry Name: The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228917
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1
District Council Ward: Thorpe Hamlet
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TG 2308 NW TG 2308 NE THE CLOSE
26.2.54 The Cathedral of the
Holy and Undivided Trinity
Cathedral and Cloisters. C11 onwards. Begun in 1096 by Herbert de Losinga
after the see was transferred from Thetford. Barnack and Caen stone,
brick. Lead covered roofs. Nave with aisles. Choir. North transept with
chapel. South transept with vestry. Presbytery with aisles and ambulatory.
South, north-east and south-east chapels. East chapel. Cloisters to south.
14 bays to nave and choir. 3 bays transepts. 4 bays prebytery plus
ambulatory. West front re-modelled C1830 by Salvin. Norman aisle portals.
West door arch with diagonally-set niches and shallow vaulting. Large
9-light perpendicular window above door. C14 south aisle windows with
cusped intersecting tracery. Norman tripartite clerestory windows with
taller central window and blind arcading. Transepts with corner turrets.
Shafted windows and blind arcading in 7 orders. Doorway in north transept
with 2 orders of shafts. Relief sculpture above doorway of a Bishop with
crozier. The south transept was restored and rebuilt by Salvin C1830.
Presbytery has square-headed 4-light windows to the aisles and large 4-light
C14 clerestory windows with flying buttresses between. Crossing tower with
4 orders of arcading and shafted clasping buttresses with turrets and C15
spirelets. C15. crocketed spire with lucarnes. Cloisters C11 and 1297-1430.
William and John Ramsey, masons of South Range. Barnack stone, lead roofs.
Eleven bays by 11 bays, 2 storey. Each bay 3-light open tracery openings,
single foiled lancet above. Corners occluded by projecting buttresses.
Lierne vaults to all sides. Enriched door surrounds to first and eighth
bay of nave. Fine triple entrance to Chapter House, E. range, Lavatorium
W. range. Upper part west wall has several circular windows circa 1050-1070.
Vaulted undercrofts behind south range (song-school).
Listing NGR: TG2347608911
Other nearby listed buildings