History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walpole's Almshouses and Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Freethorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5933 / 52°35'36"N

Longitude: 1.5561 / 1°33'21"E

OS Eastings: 640949

OS Northings: 305444

OS Grid: TG409054

Mapcode National: GBR XKT.J6M

Mapcode Global: WHMTY.W25Q

Entry Name: Walpole's Almshouses and Garden Walls

Listing Date: 26 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051454

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228615

Location: Freethorpe, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Freethorpe

Built-Up Area: Freethorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Freethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Halvergate

Listing Text

FREETHORPE THE GREEN (east)
TG 40 NW
4/38 Walpole's Almshouses
and garden walls.
G.V. II
Almshouses, dated 1871 of red brick with painted stone dressings and slate
roof. 4 attached houses, formed from single storey central range with end
cross wings. Symmetrical facade to road of 6 windows, a.b.c.b.b.c.b.a. Gabled
porches (c) flanked by 3-light windows. Gothic entrance arches to porches
with monogram above. 4 panel doors inside. Cross wing gable walls contain
canted bays with hipped roofs and 4-light windows. Shields in gable heads.
Gabled porches, flanked by blind 2-light windows in sides of cross wings.
Windows have transoms, wrought iron casements and leaded lights. Central
leaning buttress with plaque above. Pierced decorated bargeboards, fish scale
decoration in roof slates which have fretted ridge 3 symmetrical axial stacks.
Garden walls containing gates with Gothic arches project to rear. Central
plaque inscribed "Erected by Richard Henry and Harriet Vade Walpole, for the
use of 6 poor widows of the parish of Freethorpe. AD 1871".


Listing NGR: TG4094905444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.