This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6047 / 52°36'16"N
Longitude: 1.5465 / 1°32'47"E
OS Eastings: 640239
OS Northings: 306670
OS Grid: TG402066
Mapcode National: GBR XKM.MTT
Mapcode Global: WHMTR.QSMK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary, Moulton
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228588
Location: Beighton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Beighton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Beighton with Moulton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 40 NW
4/12 Church of St. Mary,
Former parish church, now vested in the Redundant Churches Fund. C12 tower,
nave and chancel C14 with some later additions. Red brick, flint with limestone
dressings. Nave pantiled with crested ridge, chancel and south porch slated,
tower plain-tiled. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Round west tower,
probably C12, with a plain loop opening on the south side. To the north a larger
bell opening with a wooden framed louvre. Blocked 2-light Decorated window
to west. Conical plain-tiled roof. C16 red brick south porch with stone sun
dial set in south-west corner. Double hollow-chamfered arch with square label
and shields set in spandrels. Arched niche over doorway. Blocked 3-light east
and west porch windows with plain brick labels. South wall of nave has two
2-light windows with 'Y' tracery of c.1300 with a central 3-light Perpendicular
window with head-stops to its hood mould. Staged buttresses divide bays. Chancel
has two 2-light south windows with 'Y' tracery replaced in wood, probably early
C19. Priest's door with intersecting tracery between windows. East gable of
nave slate-hung. Chancel east wall rebuilt in brick; cast iron tie plates dated
1877 and 1879. East window replaced in wood : 3-light with intersecting tracery.
Flint and stone buttress at north-east corner. Wide single lancets in north
wall of chancel and eastern bay of nave. 2 and 3-light north windows in nave.
North doorway with plain and hollow chamfers and scrolled label stops. South
door retains medieval ironwork. Nave roof scissor-braced with boarded ceiling;
chancel ceiling plastered. Remains of rood stair re-constructed at south east
corner of nave. Timber beam with barred chamfer stops in place of chancel arch.
Chancel benches with poppy-heads, probably early C17. C17 communion rail with
turned balusters and posts. Corbel-head set in window jamb, north wall of
chancel. South wall of chancel has a fine double piscina of c.1300 with a
sexfoil perforation in the spandrel of the double-arched opening. Dropped cill
sedilia. Good wall monument to Edmund Anguish (+1616), his wife and son. Nave
has fine wall paintings, probably C14: on the north wall St. Christopher and
on the south wall the Seven Acts of Mercy. Finely carved octagonal pulpit,
early C17, with backboard and tester. C13 octagonal font with two shallow blind
arches on each face, plain central stem and eight plain shafts.
Listing NGR: TG4023906670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings