This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6987 / 52°41'55"N
Longitude: 1.1452 / 1°8'42"E
OS Eastings: 612618
OS Northings: 315870
OS Grid: TG126158
Mapcode National: GBR TCY.VRB
Mapcode Global: WHLS1.KFKF
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228427
Location: Morton on the Hill, Broadland, Norfolk, NR9
Civil Parish: Morton on the Hill
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Weston Longville with Moreton-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 11 NW MORTON ON THE HILL
2/36 Church of St. Margaret.
Parish church, now largely in ruins except for chancel and eastern bay of
nave. C11 tower, remainder late C13 with some C19 rebuilding. Flint with
limestone dressings; some quoins and base courses in iron-bound conglomerate.
Steeply-pitched pantiled roof continuous over nave and chancel. Freestanding
walls capped with pantiles and plain tiles. Round west tower with base courses
in iron-bound conglomerate, upper walling of flint, partly collapsed 30.3.59.
Small double-splayed opening in east side; small semi-circular headed opening
with large internal splay on north side. Splayed semi-circular headed tower
arch. South porch of knapped flint with ashlar quoins; doorway with attached
shafts. Blocked window openings in east and west walls with four-centred
cusped heads. Good south door with traceried panels. 2-light nave south
windows, two with 'Y' tracery, one Perpendicular with cusped four-centred
heads under a square drip mould. Single lancet in sanctuary. Slate memorial
tablet to William Bowess (+ 1729) set in south wall. Staged angle buttresses
at east wall. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Chapel to north
east much restored and rebuilt in C19, but retaining a C14 ogee-headed cusped
lancet in the west wall. Two bay north arcade with octagonal piers and
responds; arches with double plain-chamfer and keeled fillet. In the north
west corner, a fine monument to Thomas Southwell (+ 1609); a tomb chest with
three shields and strapwork decoration in panels surmounted by a four-centred
arch on pilasters and coat of arms. Octagonal font with shields around bowl
and cusped blank arcade around stem. Remains of screen base re-used on north
and south sides of sanctuary, three bays on each side. C17 altar rail with
turned posts and balusters. Plastered ceiling over nave; roof structures
not visible. C19 arch-braced roof over chapel.
Listing NGR: TG1261815870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings