This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5402 / 52°32'24"N
Longitude: -0.6766 / 0°40'35"W
OS Eastings: 489854
OS Northings: 294417
OS Grid: SP898944
Mapcode National: GBR DVJ.PRV
Mapcode Global: VHFN6.7F50
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229873
Location: Gretton, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN17
Civil Parish: Gretton
Built-Up Area: Gretton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Gretton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Church of St. James the Great
Church. Early C12, C13 chancel re-modelled C18, north transept and clerestory
restored C19. Regular coursed and squared limestone and ironstone part rendered
with ironstone ashlar west tower. Lead, aluminium and Collyweston slate roofs.
Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of
2-window range, refenestrated C18. Single-light square-head windows with plain
ashlar surrounds. South door between windows. Steep gabled slated roof. 4-light
Decorated east window with reticulated tracery. North elevation of chancel has
one similar window to far right. Central lean-to projection is organ chamber.
Hipped roof porch to left of centre gives access to Hatton family vault under
chancel. South transept has C19 Perpendicular style south window with single
lancet on right return. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. North transept
has C19 triple lancet north window. Steep gabled and slated roof with ashlar
parapets. South aisle of 2-window range with late C18 2-light Gothick window to
centre, set in earlier opening, and C17 four-light square-head mullion and
transom window to right. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. C14 two-light
square-head west window with renewed tracery. Limestone ashlar porch, probably
C19 with chamfered outer arch and shallow gabled roof. C18 panelled inner door.
North aisle of 2-window range of C12 two-light square-head windows, with
tracery. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. Small single-light window, now
blocked, in west wall. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C19 foiled circles
and cusped spherical triangles. One C14 two-light window to east end of both
elevations. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower
of 4 stages with sub-division to first stage. Shallow clasping buttresses.
2-light west window in first stage. Single-light window to south face of second
stage. 4-light bell-chamber openings with transoms, to each face of fourth
stage. Castellated limestone ashlar parapet with gargoyles at corners and
crocketted pinnacles with panelled bases. Wooden cupola with bell. North aisle
overlaps base of tower. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade. Centre 2 bays are early and
mid C12 with semi-circular roll moulded arches with circular piers with square
abaci with scalloping, decorated on south side. Eastern arches north and south
sides are C13 double chamfered with circular pier and responds to north, and
octagonal pier and responds to south. Western arches to north and south are C14
narrow pointed double chamfered. Double chamfered chancel arch with C18 panelled
responds. Triple chamfered tower arch with octagonal responds. Evidence of early
C12 window openings of aisless church in chancel walls. Half arches at junction
of aisles with transepts have bracketed responds. Inside corner of south
transept has single arcades intersecting at corner comprising a blank trefoil
head to chancel wall and roll moulded arch with 2 orders of shafts to adjacent
east wall. Dog-tooth decoration over both. Some original roof timbers to aisle
and south transept roofs, others are C19 structures. C18 box pews with curved
sides at chancel approach, C18 fielded panelled pulpit with inlaid glory
decoration. C18 fielded panelled choir stalls and wall panelling to chancel,
matching communion rail with turned balusters. Monuments: Leigh Clarke died
1657, tablet with oval inscribed panel south wall of chancel, brass tablet
adjacent to Henry Clark died 1664. The Ladies Hatton, 1684, by William Stanton.
2 identical tablets to either side of altar have draperies and cherubs head at
base. Viscount Hatton died 1706, south wall of chancel is grey sarcophagus with
2 white cherubs on volutes with inscribed obelisk between. Robert Graham, C18
tablet with cornice and coat of arms to north wall of north aisle. Fragment of
medieval wall painting to right of east window. C19 stained glass to one light
of north aisle window. Various medieval niches. Perpendicular octagonal font.
Hatchment above south door.
(Buildings of England: p.241).
Listing NGR: SP8985494417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings