This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6454 / 52°38'43"N
Longitude: 1.3033 / 1°18'11"E
OS Eastings: 623565
OS Northings: 310413
OS Grid: TG235104
Mapcode National: GBR WBJ.82
Mapcode Global: WHMTF.ZRRW
Entry Name: Lazar House
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229611
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Sewell
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sprowston St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/06/2012
TG 21 SW
No. 219 (Lazar House)
Former Leper Hospital (Magdalen Chapel) C12. Later an almshouse until C17.
Restored 1906 by Sir Eustace Gurney and subsequently a Branch Library.
Now a day centre for people with learning disabilities.
Flint rubble with stone and some brick dressings; pantiled roof. Now L-plan. 2 storeys
(mostly open to roof); 6-window range at right-angles to street. Norman
doorway in gable end has attached shafts with cushion capitals and roll-
moulded voussoirs. Round-headed window (renewed) above with 2 small blind
slits and 2 oculi with brick dressings at the head of the gable. Right-side
elevation has a damaged Norman door and another blocked door with 4-centred
brick arch. Red brick reconstruction with 2 and 3-light mullioned and
transomed windows, together with a single-storey wing at right angles and
its projecting porch presumably date from the early C20 restoration.
Interior: medieval window splays and dressings include 2 round headed
arches with earstone dressings in the west gable. Most roof-timbers
replaced. Founded before 1119 by Herbert de Losigna, the nave was used as the
hospital and the chancel served as a chapel for the inmates.
Listing NGR: TG2356510413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings