This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.623 / 52°37'22"N
Longitude: 1.2882 / 1°17'17"E
OS Eastings: 622662
OS Northings: 307878
OS Grid: TG226078
Mapcode National: GBR W85.8S
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.RBMH
Entry Name: Norfolk and Norwich Hospital X-Ray and Radiotherapy Departments and Former Out-Patients' Accommodation
Listing Date: 5 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229593
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Close
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2208 NE ST. STEPHEN'S ROAD
5.6.72 Norfolk & Norwich Hospital.
X-ray and Radiotherapy Departments
and former out-patients'
Hospital. 1771 on keystone over door, by William Ivory.
Red brick; hipped pantile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys: 13 first-floor windows
on facade at right-angles to street. Projecting centre bay with rusticated brick
quoins has C20 glass door and flat porch in front of plain fanlight in recessed
round-headed gauged brick arch. Similar arched to flanking windows. Plain
brick string course and higher stone band to centre bays. Windows have sashes
with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with 3 round-headed first-floor
windows below central pediment with occulus. Brick cornice. Left end of the
ground floor is concealed behind irregular C20 flat-roofed extensions. 2-storey
canted bay to right side elevation facing the street. Adjoining range of 2 storeys
and semi-basement has 7 first-floor windows, 3 of which are in projecting
pedimented bay with rusticated quoins, stone string course and occulus. Sash
windows have glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with keystones. Stone
eaves cornice. A stone tablet with bronze bust records foundation of the Hospital
in 1771 by William Fellowes and the reconstruction and enlargement of the out-
patient department in 1927 as a first World War Memorial.
Listing NGR: TG2266207878
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings