This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6295 / 52°37'46"N
Longitude: 1.2873 / 1°17'14"E
OS Eastings: 622565
OS Northings: 308599
OS Grid: TG225085
Mapcode National: GBR W80.WW
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.R55H
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229539
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2208 NE,
(UPPER) ST. GILES STREET (north side),
CHURCH OF ST GILES
Parish Church. C15. 1866-1867 chancel by Phipson. West tower, Nave and
Chancel. North and south aisles. South porch. Flint with stone and
brick dressings. Ashlar-faced south wall of porch. Lead roofs.
C15 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses and clasping buttresses
on top stage. West door with flanking statue niches and above a 5-light
perpendicular window within recess. Blocked 3-light ringing
chamber window. Tall 4-light belfry windows with perpendicular tracery
having cusped transoms. Crenellated flushwork parapet with small
corner turrets. 1737 beacon cupola. 5-bay nave with 3-light perpendicular
windows. 2-storey porch against west end bay of aisle. Outer doorway with
attached shafts and 2-centre arch. Central window above door with pointed
arch and smaller flanking lights. Shield frieze and decorated parapet.
Stone fan-vault inside. Five clerestory windows. 3-bay chancel with north
aisle and C19 Decorated windows. Tower arch. Chancel arch flanked by
six statue niches. The nave piers have four shafts with smaller mouldings
between. False hammer-beam roof: four arched braces form a pointed-arch
profile with carved angels cutting through the braces at wall-plate level.
Arched braces from the wall-posts frame the clerestory window arches.
Large number of wall monuments including those to Thomas Churchman 1742
by Sir Henry Cheere, Sir Samuel Churchman 1781 and Philip Stannard 1747
by Thomas Rawlins.
Listing NGR: TG2256508599
Other nearby listed buildings