This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6303 / 52°37'49"N
Longitude: 1.2954 / 1°17'43"E
OS Eastings: 623109
OS Northings: 308716
OS Grid: TG231087
Mapcode National: GBR W99.CS
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W40V
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229472
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
District Council Ward: Mancroft
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ST. ANDREW'S STREET
26.2.54 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Parish Church. Tower 1467 to 1498. South porch C1469. North Porch C.1474
Church 1499 to 1518. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Ashlar facing
on nave and chancel. Lead roof. West tower. Nave and chancel in one.
North and south aisles and porches. Rood turret against south aisle.
4-stage tower with panelled diagonal buttresses and stair turret on south
side. West door with badly weathered shield frieze above. 4-light west
window with 2-centre arch. large 3-light belfry windows with intersecting
tracery. 2-storey porches built against the tower and in line with the
aisles. 5 bays to nave and chancel with an un-aisled half-bay at the east
end. Large 4-light perpendicular windows with 2-centre arches. Eleven
clerestory windows with triangular pilasters between. The east end has
cusped flushwork below plinth with stone shield frieze above. Three statue
niches and 2 armorial shields below large 5-light perpendicular east window
with 4-centre arch. Small diagonal corner buttresses with run-out concave
hollows. Post-medieval re-build of vestry above plinth at the end of the
south aisle. The aisle piers have 4 shafts with a concave moulding on the
diagonal face. Blind cusped tracery below clerestory windows. Low-pitched
roof with heavy ridge-piece and single butt-purlins. Arch-bracing forming
a 4-centre profile and springing from wall-shafts supported on angel corbels.
The Suckling Chapel in the north aisle is enclosed by an open traceried screen.
Good monuments to Robert Suckling (1589). Francis Rugge (1607).
Robert Garsett (1613) and Sir John Sucking (1613). Many 018 monuments.
Victorian font and pulpit.
Listing NGR: TG2310908716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings