This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6303 / 52°37'49"N
Longitude: 1.2947 / 1°17'40"E
OS Eastings: 623062
OS Northings: 308713
OS Grid: TG230087
Mapcode National: GBR W95.SH
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.V4PW
Entry Name: General Post Office Museum
Listing Date: 21 September 1970
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229476
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
District Council Ward: Mancroft
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ST. ANDREW'S STREET
21.9.70 G.P.O. Museum (formerly listed
as St. Andrew's former
Former house, now museum. C15. Brick and flint rubble ground floor, timber
frame with brick infill first floor. Pantile roof. Set back and parallel to
street line. 2 storeys, first floor jettied. One bay of former 5-bay house.
Carriage entry with arched braces having pierced, carved spandrels supported on
carved stone corbels. The west gable has corbelled brickwork at jetty level
with squared-flint pattern above. One first floor 4-light frieze window with
shallow mouldings on the mullions. One truss, remains of a crown-post roof having
moulded base and capital on the crown-post. Contemporary brick-built undercroft
with pointed barrel-vault profile with the apex parallel to the street line.
A painting by H. Ninham 1848, shows the complete building. Castle museum
accession No. 44.89.929. The building is graded II* because of the undercroft,
one of an important group within the City Walls. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TG2306208713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings