This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6372 / 52°38'13"N
Longitude: 1.2925 / 1°17'33"E
OS Eastings: 622881
OS Northings: 309474
OS Grid: TG228094
Mapcode National: GBR W8T.Y5
Mapcode Global: WHMTF.TZP4
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229487
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: New Catton St Luke with St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2209 SE ST. AUGUSTINE'S STREET
7/715 (west side)
26.2.54 CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
Parish church. C14, C15 and C18. Flint with stone and brick dressings.
Brick tower. Lead roof, plain tile to chancel. West tower. Nave and chancel
both with north and south aisles. South porch. Rood turret against north aisle.
3- stage brick tower built in 1726. Pointed 3-centre west window with double
order chamfered brick reveal and metal glazing bars. Re-used traceried sound
holes. Belfry windows with 2-centre arch with double-order brick reveals and
central mullion. Rendered crenellated parapet. 4 bay nave with simple 2-light
decorated aisle windows. Single storey porch with flat kneelered gable and
2-centre arch outer door. 4 clerestory windows north and south with Y-tracery
and 4-centre arches. 2 bay chancel with 3-light perpendicular windows to aisles.
5-light east window with 4-centre arch. Tower arch having ringing chamber half-way
up with balusters. Chancel arch supported on corbel. Octagonal arcade piers
and 4-centre double order arches. Cambered tie-beam nave roof C1520 with arched
braces to wall-posts and arched wall-braces above clerestory windows. Scissor-
brace roof to chancel. Plain inscription plate to Mathew Brettingham, 1769.
Listing NGR: TG2288109474
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings