This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6266 / 52°37'35"N
Longitude: 1.2923 / 1°17'32"E
OS Eastings: 622921
OS Northings: 308294
OS Grid: TG229082
Mapcode National: GBR W8T.BP
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.T7LQ
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229447
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
District Council Ward: Mancroft
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2208 SE RAMPANT HORSE STREET
26.2.54. CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
Parish Church. C16 Tower remodelled in 1601 as previously dated in flint
frieze. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Ashlar faced east and
west walls. Nave and chancel in one. North-west tower. North and south
aisles and north transept chapel. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses.
Outer door with attached shafts and a triple order 2-centre arch with drip-
mould. 2 bay stone vault with central bell-hoist hole and carved bosses.
Inner doorway with 2-centre arch and rose motif in outer order. 2 leaf
timber door with quatrefoil border and 3 lights of blind Perpendicular
tracery. 2nd stage 2-light Y-tracery window on north side of tower. 2-
light bell-opening above flanked by blind windows in flushwork. Shield
and flushwork bands demarcating stages. 8 bays to nave and chancel with
6 3-light Perpendicular windows with 2-centre arches along north. Chapel
in 4th bay from west with diagonal buttresses with statue niche in top
stage. 3-light Perpendicular window in north wall with 2 centre arch.
3-light windows in east and west walls with 4 centre arch. 16 3-light clere-
story windows with pilasters between. 5-light Perpendicular east window
with 2-centre arch. West door with spandrels and lozenge frieze above with
the date 1550. Large 6-light Perpendicular window above with central tran-
some and 4-centre arch flanked by end buttresses with crocketed spirelets.
7 bay south aisle. Octagonal piers with sunk concave panels on each face.
Stone tracery panels below clerestory windows. Hanmerbeam roof with
pierced spandrels and long wall-posts supported on corbels. Early C16
stained glass in east window from the monastery of Mariawald.
Listing NGR: TG2292108294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings