History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Keep Jellallabad Barrack

A Grade II Listed Building in Taunton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0113 / 51°0'40"N

Longitude: -3.1012 / 3°6'4"W

OS Eastings: 322842

OS Northings: 124119

OS Grid: ST228241

Mapcode National: GBR M1.JN4D

Mapcode Global: FRA 46DF.TXN

Entry Name: The Keep Jellallabad Barrack

Listing Date: 13 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361621

Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Town: Taunton Deane

Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Manor and Wilton

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Taunton

Listing Text

TAUNTON
MOUNT STREET
ST 2224 SE
11/420 The Keep
Jellallabad Barrack
II GV

Gatehouse tower known as The Keep: entrance to military barracks. 1879 to 1881.
Designed by Army Divisional Surveyor, Thomas Berry, with Major Crozier, RE as part of
barracks for Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light Infantry (36th Brigade Depot). Red
brick in English bond with some yellow brick three course bands, dressed stone
details; flat asphalt surfaced roof, plain brick chimney stacks. An imposing,
fortress-like block of four storeys with a pair of taller, projecting, rectangular
towers flanking the street front and a single taller rectangular tower projecting
from the north east corner on the inner or barrack yard front. A central carriage
way with arch centries to both fronts. Crenellated parapets to main block and towers:
widely spaced crenels with dressed stone sills. Parapets set forward on a dressed
stone cornice band supported on closely spaced brick strip corbels. The outer corner
of the parapet to the east tower on the street front is raised to provide anchorage
for flagpole. Three dressed stone bands, one at window sill level on each upper
storey, dressed stone lintols and sills to all windows on all elevations. Street
front: the inner return walls of the flanking towers are curved with the corners of
the upper stages above supported on elaborate corbelling. Each corbel has a moulded
stone base and two dressed stone bands above alternating with brick offsets or
vertical panels. The corbelled angle of the east tower is higher, in the third stage
of the tower, than the corresponding corbel of the west tower. Battered plinth with
moulded stone offset capping and two yellow brick bands, tne lower band at sill
level and upper band at level of stone transoms in the two slit windows to either side
of archway. Bands continue on the towers and in the slightly projecting wing walls
to either side of towers. Wing walls have a lower stone capped plinth. Above ground
floor lintols a continuous moulded stone string course. Recessed brick jambs and
stone segmental arch in two orders to carriage-way with stone string course following
extrados curve. The upper stone arch is painted blue-green with JELLALLAD inscribed
in white. Double doors framed in three vertical panels with vertical boards: wicket
door in the R.H. leaf. C4.strap hinges and top rail spikes. Within the arch a
decorative pieced metal screen. On each upper floor of main clock, six narrow or
slit windows with recessed casements. The flanking towers have similar slit windows
and a two light casement with top light over transom to the front of the east tower,
also pairs or single musket loops with stone sills and heads on each storey placed to
give covering fire across entrance. The front to the barrack yard has similar
archway to carriage-way, stone hoodmould with side drops. Irregular fenestration to
either side and nine-slit windows with inset casements to each storey above. The
tower to left has staggered slit windows lighting stair to the front and a musket
loop for flanking fire across entrance on each stage of the return wall. Interior
not inspected. The name of the barracks comnemorates the involvement of Prince
Albert's 13th Light Infantry Regiment (from 1879 Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light
Infantry) in the siege of Jellallabad Afghanistan 1841-42.


Listing NGR: ST2284224119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.