This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.461 / 52°27'39"N
Longitude: -0.6886 / 0°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 489197
OS Northings: 285596
OS Grid: SP891855
Mapcode National: GBR DWH.LQJ
Mapcode Global: VHFNL.0DTQ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 February 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231116
Location: Newton and Little Oakley, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN18
Civil Parish: Newton and Little Oakley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Great Oakley and Little Oakley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP8885 LITTLE OAKLEY
1337-0/11/182 Church of St.Peter
Parish church, now partly studio. C13 and C14, tower probably
C15, restored by Slater and Carpenter 1867. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings, low-pitched nave and aisle roofs
probably of lead, other roofs of Collyweston slates. West
tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel, north-east
vestry. 4-stage, west tower has plinth clasping buttresses,
castellated parapet and pyramidal-roof. 2-light traceried
bell-openings with transom. West side also has double board
doors in arched opening with hood mould, a 2-light traceried
depressed-arched window to first stage, and 2 tiny stair
lights. South side also has chamfered loop light. Nave and
aisles have plain parapets, clerestory of 3 square-headed,
2-light windows with ogee-headed lights and hood moulds. South
side: aisle has diagonal buttresses. Porch with parapet gable
has arched opening of 2 orders with hood mould enclosing
arched entrance with C19 board door on decorative hinges.
3-light rectangular window to right has arched lights and hood
mould with head stops. West end of aisle has similar 2-light
windowk with ogee-headed lights. East end of aisle has 3-light
Decorated window with large head filled with flowing tracery.
South-east angle of nave parapet has louvred chimney turret.
Chancel: east end has 3 lancets and round window with plate
tracery trefoil above. Band at cill level. South side has 2
lancets (western one above a 2-light "low-side" window) and a
2-light Perpendicular window. North side of chancel has one
lancet. C19 north-east vestry picks up detail from east end
and from south aisle chimney. North aisle: diagonal
buttresses. East end of aisle has 2-light square headed window
with arched lights, hood-mould and head stops. Similar window
in north side, also arched entrance with hood-mould and
head-stops, and C19 board door on decorative hinges. West end
of aisle has cusped lancet. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade on
quatrefoil piers with similar but not identical capitals.
Arches of 2 orders - simply chamfered to north-west arch,
others sunk convex chamfers. Hood moulds with heads. Tall
chamfered tower arch on semi-cylindical responds with
polygonal capitals. Roof, probably C19, arch braced from head
corbels to tie-beam, and traceried. Nave walls "scraped"
except above chancel arch where fragments of wall-painting
survive. Top of rood stair visible, but door way broken away.
North aisle retains arched entrance to newel stair with carved
head above.Chancel: east end shafted, with stiff-leaf capitals
and brackets for statues either side. Arch-braced roof on
angel corbels, all C19. Two good architectural monuments: to
William Montagu, d.1620, and to anther member of the Montagu
family but uninscribed c.1575. C19 altar rail and pews in
chancel. C19 pulpit with "Feed my sheep" relief, in nave. Font
removed. Chancel, tower and aisles divided from nave by C20
timber and glass screens.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp294-5).
Listing NGR: SP8919785596
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings