History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4374 / 52°26'14"N

Longitude: -0.7644 / 0°45'51"W

OS Eastings: 484093

OS Northings: 282874

OS Grid: SP840828

Mapcode National: GBR CVF.5KD

Mapcode Global: VHDR2.PZRW

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052039

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231154

Location: Rushton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Rushton

Built-Up Area: Rushton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton with Glendon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Rothwell

Listing Text

RUSHTON
SP8482 STATION ROAD
1337-0/13/240 (South side)
25/02/57 Church of All Saints
GV II*
Parish church. Norman origin, largely rebuilt early C14,
restored 1853 and 1869 by E.F. Law. North-east chapel reroofed
after fire of 1963. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone
dressings, lead and Collyweston stone slate roofs. West tower,
nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel. North- east
chapel, vestry to south-east. 3-stage, west tower with
set-back buttresses, square-headed lights to first 2 stages
and 2-light bell-openings (twin lancets in arched recess) and
later limestone castellated parapet with corner pinnacles.
Tower west entrance has C19 double doors on decorative hinges
in arched opening of 3 chamfered orders. South side of nave
buttresses, with sill band, has 2-light traceried windows
(each a little different) with hood-moulds. Window to left of
porch is square-headed. South porch has coped gable, moulded
arched entrance and little 2-light traceried windows (now
blocked) to either flank. 3 3-light Perpendicular clerestory
windows to south, 3 2-light clerestory windows to north. North
aisle has 3 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows with
hood-moulds and head-stops, and a C19 door in arched surround
of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. Chancel has parapet gable and a
3-light Decorated style east window. South side of chancel has
moulded plinth and a 3-light Decorated style window. Gabled
vestry has roof of graduated and shaped stone slabs.
North-east chapel has coped gable, limestone plinth, cill
band, quoins, a 2-light Decorated window to north and east and
a C19 north door in keel-moulded arched surround. Interior:
3-bay north nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders, carried on
cylindrical columns with plain capitals. Low, round-headed
tower arch (little more than a doorway) with chamfered impost
blocks. Organ apparently conceals Norman window above. Tall
and slightly stilted chancel arch, with polygonal responds.
Arch from aisle to chapel similar, but with semi- cylindrical
responds and tall roll-moulded capitals. 2-bay north chancel
arcade of 2 chamfered orders with a quatrefoil central pier
(with roll- moulded capital) and polygonal responds (with
capitals similar to those of chancel arch). Nave roof
arch-braced from corbels to tie-beam, north aisle roof of
tie-beam trusses, chancel roof arch-braced from corbels to
collar, all restored at C19. North-east chapel roof C20.
Elaborate and playful Decorated sedilia with nedding ogee
hoods with carved figures and beasts between and crocketed
gables and pinnacles above. Mostly C19 fittings and stained
glass. North-east chapel has late C13 purpeck marble effigy of
a bright, traditionally identified as William de Goldingham,
d.1296, and alabaster effigy of Sir Thomas Tresham, d.1559, in
the dress of Lord Prior of the Knights Hospitallers of St.
John of Jerusalem, removed from the church of St. Peter,
Rushton, demolished 1799. Vaulted vestry has incomplete
transverse chamfered rib on corbel.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: P 397).


Listing NGR: SP8409382874

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.